Talk

Advanced search

Overcoming shyness?

(4 Posts)
alfiemama Thu 20-Mar-14 20:56:21

My job role is changing and I am expected to go out to events and present. I am fine with this with someone by my side, but I will have to start to do them on my own. But I just find this so daunting.

People at work would find this so odd as I come across as bubbly and confident.

Has anyone any tips on how I can overcome this hurdle? blush

simonelebonbon Thu 20-Mar-14 21:26:41

I retrained as a florist and I cannot begin to tell you how tough it is to make a handtied in front of a customer to start with (i.e. pick out flowers that go together, add them up in your head, make it in front of them all whilst talking to them at the same time!). Sounds ridiculous I know....

I would just breathe deeply, smile, chat, look confident and keep telling myself to keep going, keep going, keep going, you can do it.... Now I don't give it a second thought.

Practice makes perfect and if you can get through the first few presentations you'll be just fine.

Best of luck!

Technical Thu 20-Mar-14 21:38:36

I find I can deal with shyness and appear confident in a professional capacity much more than I can socially. It's because for work, I am the consummate professional and I just have to IYSWIM, so a put on an act and do it.

alfiemama Thu 20-Mar-14 22:05:15

Thanks Simone, oh crimes I can only imagine. I know that eventually I will think what was I bothering about. But it's just getting to that stage. Thank yougrin

Technical, thanks, I kind of do that with the events I do now. It's just the big fear of strangers and me being on my own. Like I said with someone with me I am completely fine. I know I have to do this if I want to succeed at work and it will probably be good for me. Thank you for your support, guys.

Does anybody know any good books maybe?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now