Talk

Advanced search

Maternity allowance and temporary contract

(3 Posts)
blamber Mon 17-Mar-14 08:14:19

Hi everyone,

I am a student who will start a new job in April (exact start date not set yet). I also just found out I'm pregnant and am hoping to become eligible for Maternity Allowance. If I understand correctly, I need to have earned for 26 weeks. How do they calculate this? Is it till the due date, or is the leave you may take at the end of the pregnancy excluded? So say if you stop working four weeks before the due date, will you need to have worked 26 weeks before that, or 22?

Another question, I will be on a temporary contract. When on maternity leave, does the time on the contract get paused, or does it keep going. So say I'm on a 24 month contract, I go on maternity leave after 6 months and come back after 6 months, do I have 12 or 18 months left on the contract?

I have no clue!

LIZS Mon 17-Mar-14 08:20:05

employed or self-employed for at least 26 weeks in the 66 weeks before the week your baby is due and earning at least £30 a week over any 13-week period https://www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/eligibility . Technically you are still employed while on ml. ML is within the original 24 months' contract.

blamber Mon 17-Mar-14 09:40:24

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now