Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Guilt about leaving a job- some perspective required.

(6 Posts)
normalishdude Thu 13-Mar-14 12:06:47

I am having to leave my job (I have a found a new one with more money and better prospects). My current employer is likely having to wind up the company, not mainly down to my leaving , but it is definitely a factor. The company has not been doing very well lately and that is also partly my fault. I am in sales and it’s been very tough lately to get anyone interested in buying the stuff that we sell- external factors are largely to blame for this.

I guess what I’m asking is has anyone been in a similar situation? Did you struggle with guilt for effectively being a rat leaving a sinking ship?

EuroMaidan Thu 13-Mar-14 12:28:49

You don't really have a choice. If you stay - knowing that you're not paid your worth and not progressing your career as much as you could - you would end up with bad feelings too.

Businesses should be able to replace people, not sink when someone is leaving. If that's not the case - well, tough! - but that's not your problem.

normalishdude Thu 13-Mar-14 15:30:09

Yeah, that's all true but it doesn't stop me from feeling guilty.

winniethepoohpooh Thu 13-Mar-14 18:30:17

Please don't be guilty.

I've worked with senior decision makers in business for years and if the shoe was on the other foot then you would be out of the door. People run businesses to make money and IME the person at the top of the tree is generally an unemotional type with his/her eye on the bottom line. You only need to read down the employment and redundancy forums to get a bit of perspective on what is going on in the real world.

I know this is a small company but you have probably fared no worse than anyone else would have. You can apologise and wish them well but seriously don't beat yourself up about it.

Best of luck in your new job!

EuroMaidan Thu 13-Mar-14 18:59:59

Think of it this way - you would feel bad whether you leave or not. There is no pleasant way out, you just have to bite the bullet and go.

By distancing yourself from this situation your confidence and self-esteem will have a chance to recover more quickly.

But if you stay, you will allow this small company to exploit your skills at a rate below the market value. Your confidence and self-esteem will quietly suffer for longer periods of time making any future recovery difficult, undermining your future chances of success and not really helping the company in the long run either.

No-brainer. The feeling of guilt is only temporary. You can do it.

normalishdude Fri 14-Mar-14 10:56:37

thanks for taking the time, folks- just the tonic I needed. Much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now