Talk

Advanced search

Should I speak with team member or not?

(5 Posts)
Tweet2tweet Wed 12-Mar-14 15:11:23

Just looking for some advice. I'm not long back from mat leave. I'm trying my best but getting very little support and finding I'm just left to get on with it. Feeling quite low.

I manage a team and before I left some of them were very unpleasant to me, won't go into it but let's just say bullying. Anyway two of them were moved on as a result. One remains and one who was partly involved remains remains also.

The one who had some involvement has been off sick. The other trouble causer has ordered flowers to send her on my day off. No discussion with me, just done it and emailed team.

I think it's quite undermining and she's trying to prove a point. However I'm not wanting to create a scene. I think it is nice gesture and support it but as team lead would gave been nice to have been told. Been over a week in which she could have said.

Do you think I should say although I think it is good idea, best to let me know so it's approached as a team or just leave it?

EuroMaidan Thu 13-Mar-14 19:06:45

Could you be mixing the two incidents together beyond what is helpful?

In isolation from your previous issues, the fact that someone bought flowers for member of the team who is off sick, and did this in your absence (so now you don't have to do it) looks like something worth being grateful for.

It is possible that you feel differently given past events, but you need to be aware that if you make a fuss about the flowers incident, your actions may be easily misinterpreted - either genuinely or even on purpose, to undermine your reputation further.

tribpot Thu 13-Mar-14 19:08:42

Is it normal as a team to buy someone flowers when they're off sick? If yes I think it's not worth pursuing. Why does she have sign-off for spends like this?

stowsettler Fri 14-Mar-14 13:08:55

What tribpot said. Also, if it were me I'd send her an email, copying the team in, thanking her for organising the flowers in your absence. Just a subtle way to take back control.

Tweet2tweet Fri 14-Mar-14 22:24:55

thank you. You're all correct, that's what I did, sent email thanking and left at that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now