Talk

Advanced search

Tax/NI implications

(9 Posts)
Prforone Wed 12-Mar-14 14:12:39

Just been for a job interview where I was advised the last person doing that job got paid "cash" and then sorted out their own tax and NI.

Having worked only for large corporations in the past, I'm clueless as to how this works. Is it basically like doing a self-assessment each year? Does that classify me as self-employed? Does it affect my tax credits?

Sorry, like I said, clueless. Any advice given greatly appreciated!

Prforone Wed 12-Mar-14 14:16:06

I'm also guessing time off for holidays, etc., is unpaid time? God, I feel so thick!

Just trying to work out if this is a good deal for me. Interviewee asked what my hourly rate worked out as at my last job and when I told him "X amount", he said that's what he was looking to pay me. BUT the figure I gave him was my net figure, so I'll be worse off, won't I?

LIZS Wed 12-Mar-14 14:20:24

Sounds very dubious hmm

LIZS Wed 12-Mar-14 14:21:16

also sick pay, employment and maternity rights etc would be affected

Onesleeptillwembley Wed 12-Mar-14 14:22:15

Dodgy as hell. Run. And just because they pay you gross downy automatically make you self employed. There are strict rules. Just don't go there.

Onesleeptillwembley Wed 12-Mar-14 14:23:53

Downy = doesn't.
oh no, wasn't discussing facial hair by text with my sister

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 12-Mar-14 14:26:51

Thats sounds very dodgy. Unless you are totally desperate avoid avoid avoid.

LadyMaryLikesCake Wed 12-Mar-14 14:28:43

There's certain rules for being self employed, such as being able to sub contract the work out, using your own materials etc. Some bosses will tell people that they are 'self employed' when they are technically employed because they can't be arsed to sort out the tax and national insurance, which is basically tax evasion (google IR 35).

Being self employed doesn't entitle you to the same rights as an employed person, so they can withdraw your work with no notice, they don't give you holiday/maternity or sick pay and there's no set shifts so you can be working one day one week, three the next (PITA to budget for).

I'd run a mile to be honest. Then I'd report them to the Inland Revenue.

HermioneWeasley Wed 12-Mar-14 20:06:51

Run - anyone with this attitude is going to be a nightmare to work for

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now