Talk

Advanced search

Job interview dilemma

(4 Posts)
Looby4 Wed 12-Mar-14 07:33:46

I am currently looking for a new job, and was contacted by a previous work contact about applying for a role as his Executive Assistant. I dallied around, as the job description is very woolly, says it could be 2-4 days per week and the salary was by discussion, and at the very last second submitted an application. At the same time I submitted a number of other job applications and already had a few other enquiries with agencies and discussions with other companies in the pipeline.
Yesterday afternoon I heard that I had been invited for an interview for the executive assistant job next Monday. At the same time, I got other emails have inviting to have "further discussions" with another organisation (no firm job there for me that they're telling me about, just further discussions), and a recruitment agent emailed to say he may be able to get me some consultancy. Either of these would be preferred options if they came off, and I have yet to hear back from three other job applications.

Executive assistant would not be a career step up for me, but it could be flexible with family life and interesting. I feel that by going to the interview, I would be digging myself into deeper there and know they are in a hurry to fill the job quickly.
Because of the personal contact I don't want to behave badly, and don't know if I should withdraw now. However the other opportunities may come to nothing and a job is a job!

Does anyone have any advice on how to manage this?

flowery Wed 12-Mar-14 08:21:18

If in doubt, always go to the interview and keep your options open. You might be "digging yourself in deeper" but you're not committing to anything by going along.

Northernlurker Wed 12-Mar-14 08:25:09

Go to the interview and see what you think. Always good to get your eye in interview-wise grin Then if they DO offer you the job see what the offer is - how many days, what's the best salary. You may find you can make it work for you OR you walk away saying 'sorry not good enough'

2014ThisIsMyYear Thu 13-Mar-14 21:52:24

Remember an interview is a 2-way process. You are sizing them up as much as they are sizing you up. Do you like the environment? Are the conditions clear and will they suit you? Go with an open mind but also a clear idea of what you are prepared to negotiate on (and not), and heed your instincts. Just because you attend an interview you are not obliged to take the job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now