Talk

Advanced search

Carrying leave over...

(6 Posts)
ediblewoman Tue 11-Mar-14 10:42:12

I work for a local authority, there is an agreement that 5 days leave can be carried over into the new leave year to be taken before the end of May. If a member if staff is off sick leave can be carried over beyond this point (I.e. Until the member of staff returns to work).

I have a staff member whose maternity leave started much earlier than expected, baby was six weeks prem. this early start meant she couldn't take give days leave she was going to before her mat leave started. She feels she dhould be able to carry this over as though she were off sick but HR say no. My staff member feels this is 'different treatment' as the refusal to allow staff to carry over leave if on maternity or paternity leave unduly penalises women.

I am wondering if she might be right? She is likely to put in a grievance and if she will win I'd rather just grant her the leave but HR are bring quite intransigent. I am not totally comfortable with HR as the advice I had from them about the same staff member's entitlement to continue to revive childcare vouchers during mat leave was totally incorrect (something I only knew because of this board)!

Thanks for any thoughts/opinions.

ediblewoman Tue 11-Mar-14 10:42:46

Sorry five not give!

stowsettler Tue 11-Mar-14 15:07:35

It certainly sounds discriminatory to me - in your position I'd certainly allow her to carry them over. But I don't have an HR department to report to!

NewJobNewLife Tue 11-Mar-14 15:47:08

I work in central government rather than local, but we'd carry the leave over to end of maternity in your employee's case.

ediblewoman Wed 12-Mar-14 18:48:16

Thank you both, sorry for not coming back to this sooner. I have tried again with HR who are not budging but hey ho. When the grievance arrives I am tempted to tell the Union everything and let them deal with it.

beepbeep Wed 12-Mar-14 18:56:57

I work for local gov also, we have same thing re 5 days, but as she had been unable to take the planned leave that would have taken her down to 5 days then they should carry it over (it's not like she's done it on purpose!!).

I was in similar situation, fought it & then they gave me the leave back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now