Talk

Advanced search

Change to JD...sorry is long!

(9 Posts)
Hulahooploopytunes Mon 10-Mar-14 18:32:09

Hoping a hr person (or anyone else in the know!) can advise!

A year ago my employer suggested increasing case loads within our team, which are specified in the role JD, all workers at that time highlighted issues with this re a realistic balance and achievability of performance related targets.
The Area manager at the time said no more - over the year all other workers & the area manager have left.

All replaced by agency workers who were given a new JD with higher case load with same terms & conditions.

In that time I have been 'acted up' into the management role - this has now come to an end after 9 mths (due to me not having the formal qualification required for the role) and I am being told I'm expected to carry the higher case load.

My query is that I have not had a change to my JD or contract to reflect this, so I shouldn't have to?

I am in a difficult position because I interviewed and trained my new manager believing that I would remain as deputy in the team. I don't want to come across as being petty as it feels like people are just waiting for me to kick off over something!

I just don't see why I should go along with this though without the process for a change in my JD being followed!

LadyLapsang Mon 10-Mar-14 23:25:42

Surely if you were in a management position you were involved in the recruitment and objectives of your new team members. It seems you are stating that now you have lost your TP you don't want to have the same objectives as the other team members.

Hulahooploopytunes Tue 11-Mar-14 08:14:58

You would think but no I wasn't as it was senior managers who put the JD to the agency, and I disagreed strongly with the change as I don't think it's achievable.

flowery Tue 11-Mar-14 08:56:50

Is your job description contractual? Most aren't.

Are the responsibilities actually changed, or is it just an increase in workload?

Hulahooploopytunes Tue 11-Mar-14 11:08:17

I don't know if it's contractual I'll have to ask hr that.

It's a change in workload - I'm guessing that I'll have to go with it which sucks as expectation of intensity of work means it'll be difficult to manage. In the time I've been managing staff I have made sure they don't have more cases than set out in my JD and have been clear with senior manager why - he even began to agree with me but he's left (pitfall of agency staff!) and new manager is clueless to what is actually achievable!

flowery Tue 11-Mar-14 11:21:23

If either the job description itself or the contract don't specify that it's contractual, then it's unlikely to be, which means this probably isn't a change to terms and conditions issue.

If when doing your job you find your workload is unmanageable, that's an issue to discuss with your manager.

But if the workers you've been managing have not had to deal with the caseload on their job descriptions anyway, that indicates there isn't sufficient caseload overall to mean you'll need to increase anyway, is there?

Hulahooploopytunes Tue 11-Mar-14 12:06:19

Recent influx of cases means that there is so likely to happen regardless...when I was managing I was very strict on our criteria so fewer cases being accepted...thanx for reading my post and making me see sense just the way it's got to be - I will be making it clear that quality of service is likely to be affected frustrating as it's the people we work with who will be impacted ultimately and that's wrong.

flowery Tue 11-Mar-14 13:13:14

"I will be making it clear that quality of service is likely to be affected"

Yes that's definitely a better way to go, rather than (what will come across as) whinging that your job description says x, and (will look like) trying to avoid work. Pointing out business reasons for your concerns is far better.

Hulahooploopytunes Tue 11-Mar-14 17:11:59

Thanks for helping me find my way! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now