Talk

Advanced search

Offered contract then withdrawn

(8 Posts)
UnionofMultitaskers Sun 09-Mar-14 22:00:38

I wonder if someone can help.
I started a new job in March 2013 as self employed person but working for an agency that supports families. I worked ad hoc only a few hours a week and shadowed someone to learn the job. I didn't actually get any hours until July 2013. I've done approx 2-3 hours per week since then and training days too. Beginning of Jan 2014 I was offered a contract starting in April 3 days a week for 6 months working on my own (not shadowing) and getting experience to then do the last 9 months of a 1 year maternity cover. So since jan I've been working at office (usually just visit homes) doing paperwork and visiting homes. Even discussed with supervisor how I was so pleased for contract and that childcare was in place etc. Then in supervision my supervisor said that I was unable to have contract now and if I wanted to cover maternity then I could apply. I'm so shocked! I assume they are legally allowed to do this? Does anyone else think this is horrendous? Or is it totally normal to change Minds?

BlackandGold Sun 09-Mar-14 23:02:33

I'm confused as to whether you are self employed or an employee but what do you have in writing regarding this contract?

MuttonCadet Sun 09-Mar-14 23:04:25

Did you sign a contract, do you have anything in writing?

Hoppinggreen Mon 10-Mar-14 11:52:19

It very disappointing but if no signed contracts are in place can so what they want to a certain extent.

UnionofMultitaskers Wed 12-Mar-14 21:23:50

Hi
I have no contract with them. I'm self employed but work for them only. The contract they have offered me and withdrawn was never signed. So I think really they are legally right but just unprofessional

Bragadocia Wed 12-Mar-14 21:28:18

I thought that offers didn't need to be in writing to be binding. They offer verbally + you accept verbally = contract.
https://www.gov.uk/job-offers-your-rights sets it out.

UnionofMultitaskers Wed 12-Mar-14 21:31:02

Thank you so much., I'm going to look into it

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 12-Mar-14 21:36:08

If you only work for them then hmrc may consider you to be an employee rather than self employed. Sounds like they are messing you about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now