Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Expenses while away from work studying on block release

(4 Posts)
Pupstar Tue 04-Mar-14 14:03:52

One of my employees is doing a distance learning course which involves 2 x 2 week residential trips a year. Our agreement is that I pay the course fees, but would it be usual for an employer to pay for all travel expenses plus accommodation? Due to the distance involved I can see this easily adding up to £1k per trip.


flowery Tue 04-Mar-14 14:38:53

Depends. Is it a course you are effectively sending her on, or has she decided to do it and asked for sponsorship?

If the former, then yes you pay. If the latter, then it's for negotiation between you. Has she started it already and only just found out/told you, or is this all being discussed upfront before she commits to the course?

Hoppinggreen Tue 04-Mar-14 16:12:46

When I was employed and sent on courses the hotel and all meals were paid for.

Pupstar Tue 04-Mar-14 16:23:38

Okay, fair points, thanks. I took her on with the specific intention of doing this course, and it will be of benefit to my business in the long run.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: