Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Proofreading course - worth doing or a waste of money?

(3 Posts)
TomJoad Sun 02-Mar-14 11:19:37

Language skills and attention to detail are strengths of mine, and I feel that I would be good at, and enjoy, proofreading. However, I have no official work experience in this area.
I am very much stuck in a job rut, after decades of low level admin work, and I'm at a point in my life when I feel I change now, and move to work I enjoy for the next 20 years, or ..well, or..don't, and remain unfulfilled and unhappy! Has anyone done a proofreading course e.g. http://www.sfep.org.uk/pub/train/self_test/index.asp and would you be able to advise/comment?

Hoppinggreen Sun 02-Mar-14 16:54:16

There are a couple of proof reading threads on the self employed/freelancer board which might be useful.
Not sure about the courses but I think that it's not easy to find work and rates are dropping

CajaDeLaMemoria Sun 02-Mar-14 16:57:00

It depends if you have people that you could proofread for already or not.

I'd try to line up a few people who would be interested in providing you with work if you did the course. If you can't, it'll be a waste of money. If you can, you'll probably find that they don't require you to do the course, although you could anyway to boost your own confidence.

It's a tough industry and it's all about who you know and how you market yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now