Talk

Advanced search

Application form states that if you are offered the job you will have to show proof of qualifications

(13 Posts)
Hoolit Sat 01-Mar-14 23:16:00

I have never had my Gcse or A level certificates for one reason or another, when I got my current job 10 years ago they wanted them and I tried. I went back to the school etc and exam boards but got nowhere. Luckily they still took me on, public sector.

They weren't even that good just C's and E A level! Im not claiming to have a first in law or anything grin

So, do I put down my grades and explain if I get anywhere or leave that part blank?

I am nearly 40, I have years of relevant experience and a decent job related qualification -with proof!

Wwyd?

scottishmummy Sat 01-Mar-14 23:27:59

Why can't you just obtain copies?if you're required to show them to employer
Why can't you just get duplicate or transcript instead of a don't have them faff

scottishmummy Sat 01-Mar-14 23:32:28

get replacement certificate or Obtain a transcript
If you're required to demonstrate the grades you say you have you'll need to
Some jobs ask for certain grades,you'll need to demonstrate you have what you claim

There's a chance if you dint demonstrate the grades you'll not get post

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 01-Mar-14 23:42:52

This might be a standard line they put in all applications, where some of the jobs have specific qualifications attached to them. Like accountancy or nursing or something. I can't imagine anyone being interested in your GCSEs when you're nearly 40.

I suppose it depends on the job, if there is a legal obligation to ensure that employees are properly qualified then they may well have to have them, but they may only need highest qualification (my line of work checks highest relevant qualification, which is a degree at minimum, O and A levels wouldn't be checked). OTOH if it's just a line to deter fraudulent applications then they might not check.

I'd put them down anyway, you know you're not lying. If it gets as far as offering you the job then you'll have to tell them, just be honest. If they want you for the job I'm sure there'll be some way round it.

scottishmummy Sat 01-Mar-14 23:53:46

I can't understand why you wouldn't obtain copy or be avoidant?aqa.org.uk offer assistance
Apparently they hold record dating back to 1908.easily covering date of op schooling
If you don't show they. Plus withhold job offer

Hoolit Sun 02-Mar-14 00:00:59

That's a great useful link scottishmummy thank you, I'll give it a go. As I say the school etc were not helpful last time but this looks more promising.

Its an admin/project role and no qualifications are listed in the advert. My current employers didn't push it but wouldn't want to lose out due to it and if I can sort it I will.
Thanks for all replies

scottishmummy Sun 02-Mar-14 00:09:48

And congratulations on post

Cockadoodledooo Sun 02-Mar-14 00:23:27

It's standard on our application forms but we've never asked anyone to produce GCSE/A level type certificates, just professional ones.

EBearhug Sun 02-Mar-14 00:26:40

I've only ever been asked to show my degree certificate, and not even that on the last couple of jobs.

OTOH, someone in my company was sacked a few months ago for lieing about his qualifications and claiming to have ones he didn't actually have. (Not sure how it came to light - he wasn't a new employee.)

Chloerose75 Sun 02-Mar-14 00:33:53

It is fairly standard and I think it is reasonable of employers to ask. I had to reorder my a level and gcse certificates as my parents had taken and mislaid the originals. It is easy to order them and costs a bit but not loads. Can you remember which exam boards you were with as that would make it easier.

LoveBeingCantThinkOfAName Sun 02-Mar-14 00:36:53

Op I had the same trouble, let me know if you try the links and it works

Hoolit Sun 02-Mar-14 00:46:33

I have no idea which boards, I'll just ring them all as there is not many with school and dates and see what happens.
After all this time though, my 16-18 year old self is nothing like me now, I was such a flake and drifted along in my own world not switched on like teens now.
Never mind, I'm sure I'll sort it one way or another.
Best start digging out my current stuff, everything is in storage as we're in temp accommodation at the mo, nothing easy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now