Talk

Advanced search

working for local authority - list of duties

(8 Posts)
energyfirst Sat 01-Mar-14 20:33:04

My contract stated that I need to do my duties and take on any other reasonable duties. My list of duties is very long, plus more and more coming ad hoc requests. do you think it is worth asking to precise the list of duties or is it impossible? work in a school situation as support staff so get lots of different requests...

yummumto3girls Sat 01-Mar-14 21:51:04

It's a standard clause in most local government contracts to cover anything else they want you to. It would be impossible to write a list of everything that you might come across in a school!

energyfirst Sat 01-Mar-14 22:10:02

if the tasks are getting more varied and more and more is it possible to ask for regrading?

flowery Sat 01-Mar-14 22:55:52

Job descriptions don't list everything and a clause in the contract like yours is normal.

Why do you feel you need a specific list, is there confusion over exactly what you do and don't do?

Beamur Sat 01-Mar-14 22:58:19

I work in LA too and this is pretty standard.
I'd suggest you keep a note of all the additional jobs you're being asked to do and bring it up at your next appraisal - if the scope and range of the jobs is beyond what you'd expect at your pay grade you could ask for a review/regrade.

honestpointofview Sun 02-Mar-14 00:07:03

As flowery says that is a standard clause. It is also standard not just in local government. I would expect it to be in all my client's contracts. I also agree with flowery re the list. Is there some reason that you are not clear what is expected? Even if (which is rare if not impossible) listed every task, tasks change overtime and often JD's are not rewritten.

BackforGood Sun 02-Mar-14 00:14:25

Agree it's pretty standard - particularly in schools.
Do you feel you are being given too much? It might be worth arranging with your line manager a meeting to ask how they want you to prioritise different things you are asked to do?
Or are you being asked to do things you don't feel qualified to do? - in which case, again, a meeting with your line manager to ask for support and training to enskill you.

Jinsei Sun 02-Mar-14 09:38:14

I think grading is less about the variety of tasks that you're asked to undertake and more about the degree of responsibility/complexity involved. If you're being asked to take on a lot of work that is significantly more complex and/or carry a lot more responsibility than your job description would suggest, then I think you could ask for a regrade. If it's simply that you're being asked to undertake tasks that are not specifically listed in your JD, I don't think you'd have a case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now