Talk

Advanced search

Tips on giving a talk or presentation with powerpoint.

(13 Posts)
Lettucesnow Fri 28-Feb-14 20:02:48

I know how to set up Powerpoint but it's how to get over the nerves when giving the presentation.

How do YOU do it?

Azquilith Fri 28-Feb-14 20:04:37

I get nervous too. Tend to try and visualise myself in the room giving the presentation with everyone watching me before the event so I'm prepared for that first rush of adrenaline. Have to give one myself on Monday!

MrsCosmopilite Fri 28-Feb-14 20:10:11

Deep breaths

Make sure you don't have too much information on your slides

Make sure you know exactly what it says on your slides

Have hand-held notes (on index cards)

Smile

Look at a point just above your audience's head/left of someone's ear - it looks as though you're making eye contact. Make sure you shift your gaze around though otherwise you'll look as though you're possessed

Remember, you're in charge - you're the source of knowledge

Visualising ahead of time is great

If you have any opportunity to do a trial run/equipment test, do so. You'll feel more confident if you know where the microphone is, clicker is, etc.

whereisshe Fri 28-Feb-14 20:11:40

I think most people get nervous...

I hold a pen while I'm talking so my hands don't wave about too much or shake. And I focus on the content (ie the message I'm trying to get across) so I feel (and sound) natural rather than rote. And I never make eye contact with my audience, I look at noses or ears.

And no coffee! Vitamin b-complex helps if you have too much adrenaline and it's making you shake.

Piscivorus Fri 28-Feb-14 20:13:08

I think the hardest thing for me is not just reading the slides but keeping talking naturally

dyslexicdespot Fri 28-Feb-14 20:16:12

Practice over and over again.
Remember to breath.
Make sure you are familiar with the computer you will use for the presentation.

CMOTDibbler Fri 28-Feb-14 20:25:56

Always start with a big smile to your audience - I find it very settling to see everyone smile back.

Don't put too much on your slides - just key points

Remember to breathe!

Start with an objective/outline slide - it lets everyone know what you'll be talking about and helps you to focus

Lettucesnow Fri 28-Feb-14 20:37:30

How do you cope with the 'intrusive thoughts' about possible doubters?

I know there may be some people who may not agree with what I have to say.

whereisshe Fri 28-Feb-14 21:16:45

It depends on what your goal is. If you want to convince, then the doubters are your main audience. If you want to inform, then pre-empt the doubters objections in your main points if you can. Either way they make your presentation stronger.

Mehrida Fri 28-Feb-14 21:22:45

Practice, practice and more practice.

No more than five bullets on each slide and don't faff about with fancy effects/flying text.

Think of everything people could disagree with and pre-prepare answers. Then practise them.

Breathe. If something throws you. Stop and breather. Then reply.

Remember, they don't know what you don't know. If you can't think of a reply, open the question up to the room, or back to the questionner.

Ok that's probs enough to be getting on with! Good luck.

Mehrida Fri 28-Feb-14 21:23:29

*stop and breathe

spudmasher Fri 28-Feb-14 21:26:45

Forget PowerPoint and blow them all away with....
https://prezi.com/

Use it to illustrate your points. You lead, it backs you up. Don't read off a PowerPoint.

Lettucesnow Fri 28-Feb-14 21:55:43

Some great help here! Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now