Talk

Advanced search

Maternity allowance when both employed & self-employed

(5 Posts)
confusedofengland Fri 28-Feb-14 14:41:19

I had DS3 on 20th February (due date was 27th February). I have just been informed by my employer that I am not entitled to SMP from them, as I have paid no contributions through them. Total pay before tax to date for this tax year was just under £5k. I was with them for over a year.

I am also registered self-employed, but have not done any s/e work for over a year now. I filed a nil tax return at the end of January. I paid some NIC recently (end of January) but can't remember what period it related to.

Would I be entitled to Maternity allowance in these circumstances?

Rockchick1984 Fri 28-Feb-14 16:40:56

You will need to apply for MA based on your employment if you have not been paying class 2 NI regularly. It'll be paid at 90% of your average salary (based on the payslips you send them).

confusedofengland Fri 28-Feb-14 17:16:28

I found some paperwork confirming that the nics I paid in January was for up to & including October 2013. Will that make a difference, do you think?

Rockchick1984 Fri 28-Feb-14 17:37:59

Up to Oct from when?

confusedofengland Fri 28-Feb-14 18:23:41

About 18 months previously. I had been paying them prior to that, too, but the sum I paid in January was for that period.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now