Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help me resign in a dignified way and still put the boot in!

(8 Posts)
Teatimetinny Tue 25-Feb-14 17:29:15

I am planning on resigning from my well paid job tomorrow.
Main reason I have a long commute and young children so it is quite tough.
I did a flexible working request for shorter hours but it was denied.
I have also been working with an unbearable micro manager who complained about my performance. Ie not doing exactly as I was told at all times and jumping when he says jump.
The crazy situation is I am on £45k and this man isn't even my boss - who is he to tell me what to do!

Anyway he complained about me, I tried to say it takes two to tango etc, but my director is supporting him.

I'm quitting tomorrow and I just wondered if I should say it is because of those reasons. Or if I should say it's just because of my kids?

FunkyBoldRibena Tue 25-Feb-14 17:32:33

You say nothing. Nada. Just resign and state your last working day.

Nothing will come of it, so it is not worth risking future references by letting rip.

bunnymother Tue 25-Feb-14 17:37:32

I agree. Stay schtum. Write a nasty letter, and put it in your knicker drawer if you need to, but do not express anything other than positive comments to anyone in the organisation. Do no even do an exit interview. Keeping your own counsel will serve you well.

HerRoyalNotness Tue 25-Feb-14 17:40:29

You could just say that you no longer see a future for yourself at x comapany and have therefore decided to resign.

If they do an exit interview with HR at your place, you can then go into detail if you wish.

Teatimetinny Tue 25-Feb-14 17:41:40

Garghhh ok.
Think I'll do the nasty letter to let it all out my system then hide it.

Glad I asked on here!

FunkyBoldRibena Tue 25-Feb-14 18:17:22

If you want to write it down and do something with it - send it to my PM box. I'll read and digest and respond but it won't cost your reference.

EBearhug Tue 25-Feb-14 23:21:03

Keep your resignation to the bare details - that you're resigning and giving the required notice, so your last day will be (whenever.)

When I left my previous job, I did give them reasons for leaving in a separate letter, which I tried to do in a constructive way. I have heard since that some of the things I mentioned had since improved. I doubt it was just down to me, but I hope it helped.

I shall probably do similar when I leave my current place, but then as I have made complaints over the years, and others also have, it shouldn't exactly be a bolt out of the blue. I also know I have people who will provide me with references should I need them (which obviously I would if changing jobs.)

You need to weigh up what you have to lose if you do put the boot in, and if you decide to do so, you need to keep it as constructive and respectful as possible, which might be an insurmountable challenge, in which case, don't.

It can be very cathartic to write a completely honest letter though - just make sure you don't send it!

tribpot Tue 25-Feb-14 23:24:54

I kept my resignation letter short and factual, then put the boot in during the exit interview. My organisation would only do a 'worked between these two dates' type reference so I wasn't worried on that score, although I still have to do business with them so kept the booting mainly to things which were fact-based.

When it does come time to put the boot in make sure you don't conflate the issues of childcare with micro-manager. It will be all-too-easy to dismiss the latter in favour of the former.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now