Talk

Advanced search

Disciplinary or not?

(6 Posts)
Waynesleepsjockstrap Mon 24-Feb-14 21:29:37

I've name changed for this cos I want to leave this behind at some point.

Last week my 2nd line manager called me to a meeting and said that people in my team had complained about my management style, saying I've been aggressive and publicly humiliating people. She said the allegations were such what she needed to instigate a formal investigation. Now, for various reasons I've not been at my best recently but I've never been aggressive in my life. I've also never had a behaviour issue at work and until recently would have been considered one of the strongest people in my role.

I recieved a letter today asking me to come to a meeting with the person investigating - it says that he's undertaking a formal investigation but it doesn't say if its being conducted under grievance or disciplinary policies, or what the potential outcome might be. I also have very vague information about what's being alleged, ie basically what I've written above but in writing. It looks like he want to interview me on the same day as he interviews my staff members, meaning I won't know what they've said until I arrive for this meeting. My questions are...

- does this sound like a disciplinary?
- if so am I entitled to know the details of the allegations ahead of my investigation meeting so that I can prepare or can they just spring it on me and expect me to respond?
- do I have the right to know who has brought issues and what they are or can they just bring general complaints?
- can I ask that they speak to people in the team who have fedback how supportive I am

I've got a call with my union tomorrow but am driving myself mad at the moment. Thanks in advance...

Rockchick1984 Tue 25-Feb-14 08:27:25

It will be an investigation hearing, not a disciplinary from what you have written - literally to investigate the allegations and see if there is any merit to a disciplinary or not.

MotherOfInsomniacToddlers Tue 25-Feb-14 08:59:55

It's an investigation to see if it needs escalating to disciplinary hearing. They don't have to tell you who said what but they do have to tell you what was said and let you respond.

flowery Tue 25-Feb-14 09:02:48

Yes it's an investigation meeting. If they decide it might warrant disciplinary action, you'll be notified of the allegations, given details, given time to prepare a defence and arrange representation etc

fascicle Tue 25-Feb-14 17:03:00

If this is being described as an investigation meeting, then it should only be used to decide whether a disciplinary hearing, followed by possible disciplinary action, are appropriate. It would be very bad practice to call this an investigation, and then turn it into a disciplinary hearing.

Have you got a copy of your company's disciplinary policy? It's worth checking the stages in their process. I would ask for a copy if necessary and clarify any queries you have with the person who wrote to you. The whole thing should be conducted fairly, and there shouldn't be any surprises.

Waynesleepsjockstrap Tue 25-Feb-14 21:53:27

Thanks everyone, I had a long conversation with my 2nd line manager who has said the issues are being dealt with under our grievance policy and that she can't see circumstances under which it would progress to disciplinary with the information she has available to her.

I've not been able to get representation for the meeting so have asked for an alternative date. I've also asked for written details of the allegations ahead of the meeting taking place so that I can prepared properly. I'm feeling a bit calmer, if not any happier about it, but I've a very supportive union and can evidence a good relationship with my team so we'll see what happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now