Talk

Advanced search

No pay rise, feel discriminated against

(6 Posts)
Chewbecca Mon 24-Feb-14 20:36:40

Pay rise letters came out today and I got 0% and I am really upset about it.
It is a huge organisation, I've worked there a long time and performed consistently highly. My direct manager was embarrassed to give me the letter and discussed (again) if I could work more hours to earn more; he agrees I am 'cheap' at the moment because I deliver as much as a full timer but only get paid 70% (my contracted hours). I do not want to work more hours as it is impractical and the impact on my family is not worth the additional £££s. I do frequently however, keep checking my blackberry every evening plus on my day off and regularly log on to deal with issues as needed. I am very committed, albeit part time.

I feel the only criticism is my short hours, it's the only dis-satisfaction that's named. I am so furious and demotivated.

I don't know whether to be grateful, I have an interesting, flexible part time role or whether to, I don't know, kick up a fuss, and if so, how would I do so and is it really worthwhile.

All our pay rise letters come with a warning not to discuss with the rest of the team (a disciplinary offence) so I have no idea if my (male, full time) colleagues received a pay rise or not.

Any thoughts or tips welcomed.

PrincessOfChina Mon 24-Feb-14 20:39:20

They haven't given you a pay rise because you work fewer hours?! Someone with actual knowledge will be along but that sounds wrong.

Our company has a range for pay rises, and then what you actually get depends on the previous year's performance rating and where you sit in salary band compared to your peers. Very fair all round.

addictedtosugar Mon 24-Feb-14 20:45:55

Have you been rated as highly performing in this years appraisals?
Can you ask for the average payrise across the company (team - much less likely to be handed out), and then question why average pay rise, say 2%, performing above expectations, but lower than average payrise?

But equally, if the average payrise is something like 0.25%, it might not be worth rocking the boat.

Sam100 Mon 24-Feb-14 20:47:47

Could it be that the general company wide pay rise was 0%? Or do you know that some people got pay rises?

Best advice is to go and talk to HR and ask.

HermioneWeasley Mon 24-Feb-14 20:48:18

It's a bit hard to follow your OP. Are you at the top of your pay range? Is there actually a pay rise this year?

Chewbecca Mon 24-Feb-14 21:25:37

Hmm, sorry it's hard to follow, feeling emotional and had a random brain dump after a glass of wine.

Some useful points, thank you.

No, it is not £0 across the board & no, I am not top of the range, I recruited new hires in 2013 at a higher basic salary than myself with no more / less responsibility (worse perks though so difficult to compare directly).

I will ask if I can be told what the average pay rise was across my department for my appraisal rating and for my salary range plus if there is a pay range defined for my role.

That's a useful summation of what I want to know so thanks for helping me straighten my thoughts out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now