Talk

Advanced search

Just been made redundant - where do I stand?

(8 Posts)
Prforone Mon 24-Feb-14 12:12:37

Got into work this morning to be called to the boardroom where I was told I was being made redundant. To give you some back story .....

Myself and my colleague were asked to set up a department back in 2010 to deal with issues arising from clients refusing to complete on their properties. We were extremely busy, so much so that in 2012, we found it necessary to employ an extra person full-time to help with the administration (I was working part-time).

In May last year, I underwent major surgery. During my recovery time, my colleague came to see me and said there was a new opportunity for me to work in the new Marketing department. She said it was perfect for me as I originally came from a marketing background and had even instrumental in setting up our original marketing database, and that my knowledge and experience were just what they needed. It was sold to me as my dream job. During my sick leave, I had reason to visit the office and found that my colleague and our assistant had been moved to a new part of the office where there were only two desks, so whether I wished to move to Marketing or not had already been assumed. But I was keen to get into the marketing side and knew that the department we originally set up did not have a long "shelf life" anyway so was glad of the opportunity.

So when I returned to work in July, I started in the Marketing department but found it was not the job I'd been promised. I was more of a data input clerk, with no chance to have more involvement. Unhappy with this situation, I informed my former work colleague who said I wasn't to leave and something would be sorted.

As of the beginning of this year, I moved to a different department (thanks to my work colleague's intervention) and had a varied administration role which I enjoyed. Only a few weeks ago, my work colleague took me to one side and explained that, as she was aware that there would soon be no need for the department set up back in 2010, she was looking to be involved with overseas sales and wanted me to come on board in terms of the marketing aspect. I was delighted. She said I would still be able to do the admin work I was doing as well as this new role if it took off.

Two weeks ago, I had to work from home two out of my three working days as my DD was ill. I had an email from my line manager on the second day, asking me to work on the Thursday as well as there was a lot of work on. This I did.

Then, out of the blue today, I was made redundant. The reasoning was that my former work colleague was taking on the work that I had been doing, therefore leaving me with no work. I wish to God I'd asked at the time what was happening about the overseas marketing situation but was honestly so gobsmacked that I couldn't think straight. I have been given what I believe to be a good pay-off but am slightly stunned as to what to do next?

I have been in touch with Tax Credits to inform them I'm now unemployed but beyond that, I'm clueless. Someone has said I should go for unfair dismissal but I'm not entirely sure and don't want to make any knee-jerk decisions as I'm still in a state of shock. I'd been there over fifteen years and never once imagined this would happen.

oscarwilde Mon 24-Feb-14 12:18:50

Have you signed anything ?

Prforone Mon 24-Feb-14 12:30:31

Nope. Asked if there was a notice period I needed to work but was told I could go whenever, ie., today.

rosesareredvioletsarepurple Mon 24-Feb-14 12:32:52

Shouldn't there be a consultation period for 30 days? Before they actually make you redundant. And then you get paid your notice and any redundancy pay.

rosesareredvioletsarepurple Mon 24-Feb-14 12:32:57

Shouldn't there be a consultation period for 30 days? Before they actually make you redundant. And then you get paid your notice and any redundancy pay.

YoniMatopoeia Mon 24-Feb-14 12:38:39

Since the role still exists they really need to tell you what their selection criteria were I would think.

flowery Mon 24-Feb-14 12:42:30

There doesn't need to be consultation for 30 days for a single redundancy, but there does need to be consultation.

They have clearly not followed a fair redundancy procedure, even if it is true that your existing job ("varied administration role which I enjoyed") is genuinely redundant.

Have they given you a settlement agreement to read and sign? That would contain clauses where you sign away your rights to claim unfair dismissal, usually in return for a bigger payout than you'd be entitled to on a statutory basis. For such an agreement to hold, they'd need to pay for you to have it checked by a solicitor or similar.

I would be inclined to make an appointment to go and see an employment lawyer near you, find one who will give you half an hour free, and give them more detail than you can give here, and any correspondence you've been given. I expect this will end in a settlement, but it's entirely likely that a solicitor may be able to get you more than you've been offered.

oscarwilde Mon 24-Feb-14 12:52:10

From what you've said I don't think your role is redundant and I think that your colleague has stabbed you in the back. I'd see a solicitor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now