Talk

Advanced search

Job interview presentation -help!

(17 Posts)
ForgetMeKnots Sat 22-Feb-14 22:51:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

EATmum Sat 22-Feb-14 22:55:34

Talk to the panel, not the presentation. Even experienced presenters spend time in interviews talking to their slides (often just reading them out) rather than connecting with their audience. Think about the person receiving the talk (even if they are imaginary) and really tailor your presentation to their needs. Smile. Talk slowly.
That's it for me. Good luck with it!

FadBook Sat 22-Feb-14 23:01:36

I'm an interviewer (HR) and totally agree with EATmum

Use the STAR technique too - situation, task, action and result

Keep to 5 minutes and have a summary handout, perhaps of the actual agenda/learning plan of the day (activity, time, resource, objectives, costs)

Don't assume they want PowerPoint. The best presentations I've seen have been without PowerPoint and either flip chart or handouts.

2014ThisIsMyYear Sun 23-Feb-14 22:58:25

The most memorable PowerPoint presentations I've experienced had only one or two slides and the slides contained pictures rather than words, so that you had to concentrate on the speaker.

If you are going to use ppt, keep it simple and ignore all the 'fancy' stuff you can do with ppt. Do rehearse it though.

MichonnesSamuraiSword Mon 24-Feb-14 10:27:10

Agree with all of the above - keep it to a few slides with pictures, not words. So that the pics act as a prompt for you, and you can't end up reading the slides.

My advice for the presentation would be to think about the structure. You say they have asked you to present how you would organize a day conference for 15-16 year olds?

1. Think of a theme for the conference. It helps to make this a realistic scenario that could come up in the real job.

2. Perhaps one slide showing the details of how you would prepare for the conferece i.e. How you would choose a venue, how you would advertise the event, how you would manage the bookings, would you provide catering etc. If you have any experience of organizing events before, I would use this as an opportunity to highlight that e.g. "I would do this... as I did when I organised XYZ"

3. Present a running order / agenda for the event - and yes, this could be a handout. Don't need to go into too much detail, but just show that you have thought of how the day would run.

4. Present some key aims for the conference - maybe two or three main outcomes that you would like to achieve.

5. Suggest that you would follow up the conference with an opportunity for the young people to give feedback. GIven that it's for young people, maybe you could research some social media options - suggest a made-up #hastag, start a facebook group for the delegates to network etc.

At the end of the day, all the panel are looking for is evidence that you can think through how to organise the event logically, tailor it appropriately for your audience, and come up with a few nice ideas.

Good luck!!

MichonnesSamuraiSword Mon 24-Feb-14 10:28:23

And yes, rehearse, rehearse, rehearse.

I'm pretty confident with powerpoint presentations, and I usually make notes but hardly ever refer to them. Once you're in the flow, it's hard to break that flow to read notes.

Far better to have those notes drilled into your head.

Thurlow Tue 25-Feb-14 16:42:19

Remember that there is no right or wrong presentation to give. They are looking for your ideas, and for your presenting skill. You might say you would do something that in reality wouldn't work in their organisation, but it's just about showing you have ideas on the topic in hand.

I've had to do a few presentations recently and kept my Powerpoints as just simple bullet points which acted as prompts for me and guides for those I was talking to. I also prepared a handout with slightly more information on in one case, as it was appropriate, but that was still only a one-page handout and I partly gave it to them to show another skill. But I reckon it's best to be the only one providing a handout rather than the only one not!

Rehearse over and again and make sure you only need your Powerpoint as a 'script'. Be confident enough with the content that you are presenting in the most appropriate style and have a good flow to your speech.

And lastly, remember if you miss something out, they won't know that so just keep going!

twentyten Tue 25-Feb-14 16:46:54

Great advice here. Handouts always good- ask if they are happy to leave questions until the end. Good luck!

There are great resources for tea building/warm up games n business balls website. Or look at the marshmallow challenge.

twentyten Tue 25-Feb-14 16:47:22

Team!

EATmum Tue 25-Feb-14 18:50:02

smileThink tea building more fun actually <assembles biscuit mountain>

twentyten Tue 25-Feb-14 20:54:29

wink

MichonnesSamuraiSword Wed 26-Feb-14 10:42:45

Great advice here.

Just want to second some of it, in that they aren't too worried about the content of your presentation, it's basically a dummy run so that they can see:

1. Your presenting style

2. Your ability to come up with ideas

3. How well you structure those ideas

4. More specifically to your case, how you would structure organizing an event.

Good luck! I have an intervew in a few weeks (no presentation, as far as I'm aware), and I have NO IDEA where to start with my preparation....! Time to get cracking!

MichonnesSamuraiSword Wed 26-Feb-14 10:43:52

Twentyten arf at 'Tea building'... <wishes there was a job where tea making was a desirable skill, I'd be the managing director!>

twentyten Wed 26-Feb-14 12:32:11

geisha??grin you did ask.....

ForgetMeKnots Thu 27-Feb-14 22:57:49

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MichonnesSamuraiSword Fri 28-Feb-14 08:26:26

Good luck!!

AchyFox Mon 03-Mar-14 01:38:52

6 minutes will be over in no time, don't overrrun.

Get a hook, and 3-5 key points.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now