Talk

Advanced search

How to go from being a colleague to being a supervisor?

(5 Posts)
MB34 Sat 22-Feb-14 21:53:07

I've been in my job 3 years and when I joined I got some bad reactions to my role as supervisor. I asked my boss for some support and management training (it was my first supervisor role) and he said he thought I didn't need it. He also said not to bother with that side of my role - he would deal with it.

Now we have a new boss and she is expecting me to step up in my role of supervisor. However, there have been things going on over the past couple of years which has divided the team (including myself) into groups within the team (there's only 7 of us!).

I'm not very good at public speaking anyway (I stumble over my words and cannot explain myself adequately) and I'm finding it hard to stay neutral when I've seen people's true colours.

I'm also 5 weeks pregnant and the stress of this is making me more emotional than normal and I feel like crying all the time in work!

Has anyone been in this situation? How did you/can I overcome this?

Notify Sat 22-Feb-14 21:56:32

If the role has changed, can you ask the new boss for some training now?

MB34 Sat 22-Feb-14 22:12:35

I have asked and she said yes, but the impression I got was that she was going to coach me as opposed to going on a formal course. It's something I should probably ask about again.

Notify Sat 22-Feb-14 22:17:07

TBH good coaching from someone who's good at it is probably more valuable if she's committed to it.

FTB ask her opinion every time you're unsure what to do (as part of the coaching she's promised)

Didyeaye Sat 22-Feb-14 22:25:06

I agree, coaching is often more useful than training as the coaching will be on real life situations rather that possible situations you may come up against as a supervisor.

If you're company is big enough to have a HR dept. can you contact someone there to use as a sounding board? I found this invaluable.

One of the main things to remember is that you're there to to the job of a supervisor. This means sometimes you'll have to to/say things that may not be easy. But that's your job and the coaching and support of your manager/HR team should make this easier to deal with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now