Talk

Advanced search

Am I entitled to maternity allowance? Director of ltd company.

(5 Posts)
evertonmint Fri 21-Feb-14 14:09:48

I am sole director of a limited company. I am a management consultant so earn a very high daily rate, and choose to work infrequently so I can spend lots of time with my children and then spread my earnings out by paying myself a small monthly salary every month.

I am 24 weeks pregnant. I have worked one contract while pregnant. It's for a piece of work rather than set number of days/weeks. I will have worked 22 days in an 8-9 week period. The money I will have earned covers my salary for a while year.

Am I entitled to claim maternity allowance? I know it is based on weeks worked but I actually pay myself for 52 weeks a year, it's just that the work is infrequent. Also I could do my work as 20 days, one day a week which would give me 20 weeks but choose to do it in a compressed period.

Just wondered if I'm able to claim or not.

prh47bridge Fri 21-Feb-14 14:58:59

You are entitled to SMP which your limited company will pay and reclaim from HMRC.

flowery Fri 21-Feb-14 19:11:09

Yes I got SMP from my own company when I had DS2. My accountant just sorted it all out for me, including arranging for HMRC to provide upfront funding for the SMP to the business which was extremely helpful given I was the only fee earner and was not..er..earning fees!

evertonmint Fri 21-Feb-14 21:08:42

Thanks. I'll get my accountant on it! Didn't even think about him sorting it out for me (still a novice at this!) grin

flowery Fri 21-Feb-14 22:10:35

If in doubt, get your accountant to sort it out, that's my motto... winkgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now