Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

work/pregnant. need some advice on any rights i have. thanks

(6 Posts)
ghostspirit Thu 20-Feb-14 22:02:20

Hi, i have only been in my job for 2 months. I'm on trail for 6 months. I'm only just pregnant, so i don't plan on telling them till after 3 months pregnant. I'm worried that as i'm on a trail, being pregnant lead me to loosing my job. could anyone give me an idea of any rights i may have. Thank you

flowery Fri 21-Feb-14 19:20:24

Your trial period is completely irrelevant. You have no more rights once you've passed it than before you pass it, (although your notice period may go up).

However it would be unlawful discrimination and unfair dismissal if you are sacked because you are pregnant, whether it's during or after your trial period.

ghostspirit Sun 23-Feb-14 20:39:11

thankyou so if they was to 'let me go' i would have to proove it was because i have said im pregnant.

flowery Sun 23-Feb-14 21:10:26

Well not exactly prove it as such, but have reason to believe that was the case. Then it would be up to them to prove it was for a different reason.

You'll have been in your job for, what, nearly 5 months when you plan to tell them. If you've had a good 5 months, with no concerns raised about performance or anything, all is going well, you tell them you are pregnant and then you are dismissed, then that looks dodgy. Obviously if you don't have a good 5 months, aren't performing well and are frequently having concerns raised with your performance, you can see it would be much more difficult to demonstrate that the pregnancy might have been a factor.

AndMiffyWentToSleep Sun 23-Feb-14 21:31:23

These people have good advice:
www.maternityaction.org.uk/wp/

fuckwittery Sun 23-Feb-14 21:36:19

I'd try and conceal it til the end of your trial period, ensure you get an end of trial appraisal that is positive and in writing, making it very hard to then take negative action as a result of your pregnancy and pass it off as performance related.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now