Talk

Advanced search

Volunteering in Social Work

(4 Posts)
LightLight Sun 16-Feb-14 23:19:31

Hello everyone. I hope this is in the right topic..

I am hoping to start either an MA or get on the Step Up to Social work programme in 2015. The reason for the delay is because I need experience working with children and families and a maths GCSE (ugh) in order to be accepted on either course.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experiences of volunteering in this area prior to doing an MA in social work, and what you did? I'm feeling a bit daunted as I don't actually have any experience working with children.

Thanks for reading.

lookdeepintotheparka Fri 21-Feb-14 20:15:19

Try volunteering for a children's centre or local parenting support group. You should be in demand due to council cuts which have badly affected some organisations in staffing and will hopefully get some useful work experience with vulnerable groups/children this way..

Good luck smile

Rummikub Fri 21-Feb-14 20:19:40

http://www.do-it.org.uk/

Try this site?

georgesdino Fri 21-Feb-14 20:22:28

Ive got on the ma for this year, but I have had a large amount of experience. You need to work with the deprived sector. I decided I was going to do the ma in 2007 and have only just applied as wanted lots of experience, as its a very competitive course. Whats your ba in?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now