Talk

Advanced search

Should I just 'put up' with my Boss?

(3 Posts)
jennifleurs Fri 14-Feb-14 19:30:03

I had a long break from work as a single parent - 5 years unemployed (besides a training course I did at home) then 2 years looking for work and a supervisory position in a local charity shop.

Got a job last September and I like it, colleagues are all great and having money for once is fantastic. But my boss sometimes speaks to me like shit. He's rude and critical, all other colleagues have remarked on this so I know it isn't just me he does it to. I actually think he might be mildly autistic as he seems to have no concept of how his actions make other people feel. Or doesn't care.

I'm the sort of person who speaks up usually. I don't let people bully me (I did at school) but have yet to confront him. I'm scared I'll loose my job and part of me thinks, it's low paid (only slightly above min wage) so should I just put up with it?

vaseoftulips Sat 15-Feb-14 11:21:04

Just sounds like his personality.

I think the best way to deal with these type of people is to not take it personally and give as good as you get. He probably doesn't respect shrinking violets. Sounds like a bit of an arse really. Just remember that.

BrownSauceSandwich Sat 15-Feb-14 12:23:06

Please read my reply to "how to al with new boss I think is a bully"... The same advice applies here.

For God's sake, don't get drawn into discussing with colleagues whether your boss has autistic spectrum disorder: it may or may not be true; makes no difference at all to your employment rights; is none of your business; and may be construed as you lot bullying him.

If your boss does have ASD, it's up to his boss to manage or modify his duties so he can get on with his job without detriment to other staff. If his behaviour is inappropriate, it has to be stopped just like anybody else. If you feel that his behaviour to you amounts to bullying or harassment, you need to take it up with your union/HR/senior management as you would with any other member of staff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now