Talk

Advanced search

can we have a thread for working parents who are social workers?

(4 Posts)
wherethewildthingis Wed 12-Feb-14 07:38:24

Just that really. I work in an intake team for children and am finding some particular challenges in the workload and type of work. Any others out there?

parkingchaos Sat 15-Feb-14 19:25:09

Yes. It's a nightmare trying to juggle and I feel as though
I neglect my own children at times.

wherethewildthingis Sat 15-Feb-14 19:27:28

I agree with that, one of my colleagues joked (half)last week that if one of her cases was being shunted about like her own kids she would be giving the parents a bollocking! Is it worth it do you think? I so love my job but, in the end is it worth the cost?

parkingchaos Sat 15-Feb-14 20:32:32

I'm considering my options at present- all I know is that I cannot carry on like this. I'm a lone parent yet 60 hrs/wk is not unusual. If I didn't have fantastic childcare I would have given up years ago. I'm sick of rushing around all day, every day. Weekends and evenings are not my own. Agile working complicates matters. I tried going part time- my pay reduced but not the caseload. My kids should come first; it's gotten to the point when I am trying to get them into bed as early as possible so I can write assessments. There is no work/life balance at all. Just lately my children haven't known where they were sleeping each evening as I've had no idea what time I would get home from work- that's completely unacceptable and something I've spoken to service users about in the past.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now