Talk

Advanced search

retired colleague and someone want to jump in for the available position

(4 Posts)
keeppositive1 Tue 11-Feb-14 15:08:04

one colleague 1 retires this year. I have been working in the company for few years. As I was talking to the manager some time ago about taking more responsibilities, I was told that as there is this colleague 1, he needs to have responsibilities and that there is nothing for me... In the meantime another colleague 2 who started not so long time ago on a part time contract had a chat with my manager that she would like to take on that position as a trainee. I have heard that manager was positive, but of course nothing confirmed. I feel really upset as 1. I have been asking for it many years and no result, 2. I have been established in a company for a number of years 3. how can they take someone without advertising? unless it is a training position? please share your ideas...thank you

PeterParkerSays Tue 11-Feb-14 15:17:45

Is the manager able to recruit the replacement for colleague 1, or does it have to get approval from HR? If the latter, the manager can't just create a trainee post.

If it is up to the manager, I'd be careful how you handle this, as it could come across as sour grapes on your part. Colleague 2 seems to have put a proposition to the manager regarding the creation of a trainee post undertaking the work on colleague 1. The fact that she is part time, and arrived more recently would be irrelevant, hence it looking like sour grapes, so I wouldn't mention that.

Also, if colleague 2 is doing this as a trainee, she'd presumably be paid less than colleague 1, at least whilst training, whereas you'd be looking for colleague 1's salary, so you were offering two different things when you and she approached your manager.

Your manager shouldn't offer someone a post without going through formal recruitment. I guess you'll have to see when colleague 1 retires as to whether your manager advertises for a permanent replacement or a trainee, to see how good a case colleague 2 has put forward.

Mojang Tue 11-Feb-14 15:31:49

AFAIK there is no law requiring that positions are advertised, sometimes it will be the policy of the organisation that they should be or there may be a agreement with the Union that all openings will be advertised but there's no legal requirement to do so.

There's nothing to stop you "chatting" with your manager on the same basis as your colleagues, ultimately they will make the decision which they consider to be in the best interests of the business, which they are perfectly entitled to do. If you want it to be you, you need to make the best case.

SolomanDaisy Tue 11-Feb-14 15:44:20

Why don't you have a chat to the manager and ask if the post is potentially going to be available as a trainee post? And ask for some very honest feedback on whether they think you could do the job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now