Talk

Advanced search

Is it appropriate to address home/work balance in an interview?

(9 Posts)
alabasterangel Mon 10-Feb-14 13:56:17

Oh help...

I've got an interview tomorrow, for an internal vacancy. I'm only applying for it because my part time position is redundant in the next 2 months. The only jobs available internally (and I would like to stay with the company) are full time and a step-up which I am being encouraged to embrace and told I am totally ready to do by my own manager and director.

However, it isn't overly clear what the expectations are about location and homework (at the moment I work locally, travel occasionally, and can homework too, which is again something I want to try and replicate). If this new role is going to have an expectation of being away from home overnight with any regularity (like weekly) or travelling long distances for multiple days of the week, or basing myself daily in an office 40 miles away then I just can't do it.

Is it appropriate to address this at interview stage? How do I word it and how do I bring the subject up at the 'questions' stage if we've not covered it by then?

JeanSeberg Mon 10-Feb-14 14:00:43

Ask the question "Can you tell me a bit more about the structure of the new position in comparison with my current role, in terms of travel and working from home? What flexibility would I be given in managing my time?"

alabasterangel Mon 10-Feb-14 14:02:48

Great wording, thank you. I'm so nervous my literacy has disappeared! Good job I finished my presentation prep yesterday as I'd be no good today... First interview for 21 years....damn these nerves!!!

JeanSeberg Mon 10-Feb-14 14:14:05

Good look alabaster and let us know how you get on.

Perhaps you could also build this issue into your presentation or other aspects of the interview. Eg if you were asked how you could increase sales/productivity/training targets, you could show that you've developed a model that involves one or two intense days a week but the rest of the time is at home/short distances.

Or drop in a statement at some point "I have assumed that I will be responsible for managing my own time and workload, so my (eg) sales targets factor in my current working arrangement which I assume will continue".

For what it's worth, I had similar concerns to you when I went for a promotion a couple of years ago but it all worked out fine. Sometimes the thought of it is worse than the reality and you'll find a way through.

alabasterangel Mon 10-Feb-14 14:38:47

Thank you. It's bad enough for me thinking about returning full time, but if I can at all find a way of continuing to work from home for 50%ish then it would really make my home/career balance do-able. I've noted that the manager who is recruiting has other members of his team who have their location base as 'home' so just keeping everything crossed. There is a chance that some other roles would be coming up which are probably more suited to my experience, but they definitely wouldn't be home based so in reality are less ideal.

Age old argument of 'having it all'.....

JeanSeberg Mon 10-Feb-14 14:42:16

Get the job and then come back here and we'll help you fine-tune the details. wink

Jess03 Fri 14-Feb-14 14:30:41

I think jean's advice is great although I wouldn't go into lots of detail about arrangements/specifics at the interview, in case they gave the job to someone else on the basis they were more flexible.

JeanSeberg Fri 14-Feb-14 18:29:22

How did it go alabaster?

alabasterangel Sat 22-Feb-14 23:34:57

I don't know yet. But I don't want it. Masses of travelling. It wouldn't matter if I did want it, I practically can't do it..... sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now