Advanced search

Sick pay

(7 Posts)
AllDirections Fri 22-Nov-13 19:29:26

I do hourly paid work for my local council. This is my only work. I've worked for them for about 9 years and for the last 6 years I've earned between £8,000 and £17,000. If I took time off sick would I be entitled to company sick pay or would I have to claim SSP?

And if I am entitled to company sick pay, how would they calculate this? I earn different amounts each month.

I'm employed by this council, I'm not self employed. I don't have a contract.

Talkinpeace Sat 23-Nov-13 15:24:39

it depends on your contract
if you do not have a contract they are breaking the law
go and talk to the HR department
your terms will be as per the standard for your post

AllDirections Sat 23-Nov-13 16:47:37

Thanks Talkinpeace

I definitely don't have a contract and HR won't be forthcoming (or even have the correct knowledge) about any rights that I might have. I just thought that if I knew my rights I'd find it easier to insist on them.

Talkinpeace Sat 23-Nov-13 21:26:21

OP Message me

I'm a bit of a local government compliance wonk
tell me the council and roughly what you do : I wont spill, its CPD for me

I'll find the links you need

AllDirections Mon 25-Nov-13 11:20:17

Thanks Talkin I'll pm you later when I'm on thr laptop.

VegasIsBest Mon 25-Nov-13 11:27:20

Also think about joining the Union who can provide good advice and support.

Talkinpeace Mon 25-Nov-13 11:52:33

Unions vary greatly in their quality. Some of them make mountains out of molehills
and some occupations are not, never have been and never will be unionised.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now