Advanced search

have been totally screwed with child care vouchers..any advice

(11 Posts)
mothersdaughter Wed 23-Oct-13 18:24:56

Have been claiming the full amount of vouchers since 2009, work in the NHS. I recently changed jobs and now work in a different Trust.

Same job, and same pay (actually less as I don't get London weighting anymore). However, I've gone from part time to full time.

I have been only given half of what I used to be able to claim - because I am a higher rate tax payer now I am full time. however, I am not new to the scheme.

is this correct? If so, where is the incentive for anyone to increase their working hours?


baffledmum Wed 23-Oct-13 19:28:51

hello, being a higher rate tax payer is in itself not enough. Are you earning over £41,151? Have you seen an copy of your earning assessment? If not, ask to see it. HR teams do sometimes make mistakes...

Can I suggest that your Google Kiddivouchers earnings assessment guide and read it? I am on hol at the moment and don't have much time to doublecheck but I think your new employer should only be taking into account what you will earn between the date you joined them and the end of the tax year. It looks as though they are projecting that you will earn over £41k in the next 6 months. If you won't then I think they should put you on the higher voucher amount until April and change it then.

baffledmum Wed 23-Oct-13 19:33:56

Page 5 is relevant to you as you have joined a new scheme midway through a tax year.

flowery Wed 23-Oct-13 19:37:38

The OP says she is not new to the scheme

Higher rate tax payers can claim less if they join the scheme after April 2011 but if it's the same scheme you should be able to still claim the full amount.

I expect payroll have processed you as being new so that's probably what needs sorting.

chanie44 Wed 23-Oct-13 23:26:14

Have you changed childcare vouchers provider eg joined a new scheme.

midnightinmoscow Thu 24-Oct-13 18:12:38

Thank you for all your replies.

The provider has changed, although when I first started the scheme I was with Endered. Them my employer changed to another one. My new NHS Trust is with Endered.

It seems unfair that I am being penalised for my old employer changing providers!

I get the feeling that payroll will say it's not their problem, would I need to take it up with HMRC? If so, where so I start?

midnightinmoscow Thu 24-Oct-13 18:13:34

Sorry, I am the OP..have name changed.

chanie44 Thu 24-Oct-13 19:44:33

I'm with Edenred and I've looked on their website (the section regarding the 2011 changes).

If your employer changed providers you are still considered 'in the scheme'. If you move employers, you are considered a new joiner and have to rejoin under the new rules. The only exceptions are if your new employer is due to TUPE or a takeover.

It's worth calling up your new provider so they can confirm/deny, but as I said, it's on the website.

bbcessex Thu 24-Oct-13 20:43:09

I changed jobs.. same provider, didn't miss a month, but was classed as a new joined so went down to the lower amount.

Nothing could be done.. not sure if changing trusts is classed as changing jobs?

kindatheart Fri 25-Oct-13 14:05:29

Hello, although you are not new to the scheme provider if you have changed employer then you are classed as being new to the new employer's scheme. This applies as you have moved Trusts. I would speak with your CCV provider direct but I don't think your employer has made a mistake, irksome though that is.

ceeveebee Fri 25-Oct-13 14:09:55

I don't think you are actually losing out though - the amount of tax you are saving remains the same doesn't it (£243 x 20% is the same as £121 x 40%)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now