Advanced search

partner lost his job! :/

(33 Posts)
mummykayxx Sat 24-Aug-13 12:08:34

my partner was forced to resign from his job when he was called into a meeting and was told he wasn't getting on there so they were going to pretty much sack him. he has only been there a few months, but he wasn't happy there, they didn't train him very well but I know he tried his best. now we have a 2 year old to support, a flat to run and rent, a mortgage deposit that is going to have to be spent on general living and a car to run (we're young so insurance is about 250 a month on its own). feeling so rubbish that we've spent about a year saving for our deposit and its going to have to be spent on normal everyday things. absolutely gutted. he has worked everyday since 16 and really doesn't want to claim job seekers but until he finds a new job, looks like we're going to have to. sucks :/

mummykayxx Thu 29-Aug-13 02:34:09

thank you xx

applecrumbleandcream Wed 28-Aug-13 22:07:02

Hope he finds something soon.

mummykayxx Wed 28-Aug-13 11:38:25

I was posting about him loosing his job and having to dip into our mortgage deposit.. obviously him being unemployed isnt working for us! his dad is supporting ds thank you..

LIZS Wed 28-Aug-13 11:03:16

Who is supporting your ds then ? confused Fine if your set up works for you all but you wouldn't be posting for advice if it did. If ds is already 2 it won't be long before you can claim funding towards his nursery/cm fees.

lagoonhaze Wed 28-Aug-13 11:01:11

He still needs to claim jsa and let the adjuctation officer decide whether any sanction applies.

LovesBeingOnHoliday Wed 28-Aug-13 10:57:49

He needs to go to some agency's

mummykayxx Wed 28-Aug-13 10:30:56

I am working part time from home as from Sept, also doing a full time course from home. he has had 6 interviews In the past week and a few more offers of interviews. a number of which sound promising. also my son is not financially supported by him! he wants to be the one to go to work as he can drive (I cant) we wouldnt be supported on what I could earn as the there's no well paid jobs round here (max is 400 a month full time) and I want to focus on my education so I can get a better full time job when I have finished my quals and spend time with my son. if thats the way we want to do it then don't think anyone else has the right to be negative.

LIZS Tue 27-Aug-13 13:35:09

If he resigned he may not be able to claim JSA. Presumably he was on probation and just told it didn't work out . Does he really need the car it sounds like a commitment too far atm . I'm sorry but just cos ds isn't his child if he is at home unemployed he should look after him as your partner if it enables you to work.

CaptainSweatPants Tue 27-Aug-13 13:33:22

You should both look for work
Nursery is great for 2 year olds - he'll have a ball !

InTheRedCorner Tue 27-Aug-13 13:30:08

It's a tough situation. I would look online into changing the insurance, what car do you have?

I have pm'd you a link to a vacancy website incase there is anything there for either of you.

You should both be looking for work now and who ever gets one first needs to work until something more permenent comes along,sign up with agencies for clerical work if you can.

I agree with looking into what you can claim whilst you look as well.

Good luck.

janey68 Mon 26-Aug-13 10:08:11

Surely the car I insurance costs can be cut?
And agree with happymummyofone- it's illogical for you to be happy with him supporting you and another mans child, yet when he's no longer working, you pull the 'its not fair to expect him to look after someone else's child ' card.
You need to keep looking for work too.

dashoflime Mon 26-Aug-13 07:26:08

Very good point about the transport costs missmapp

missmapp Sun 25-Aug-13 19:27:30

The thing about claiming JSA is you get transport paid to go to interviews. DH was made redundant last year and hated signing on, but the paid to go to interviews thing meant he could go to all interviews without having to weigh up if it was worth paying the train fare or whatever.

I went from pt to ft when he lost his job, wouldn't have made that choice otherwise, but needs must.

Good Luck

WorrySighWorrySigh Sun 25-Aug-13 19:24:47

Regarding the car, what is he driving? Having just gone through choosing a car with DD I can say that there are huge differences between car insurance costs.

There is no shame in claiming JSA. Get him to a Job Centre and start claiming. This is what he has paid his NI for all those years.

Right now he needs to keep his chin up. Work with the job centre, they really can help him.

dashoflime Sun 25-Aug-13 09:02:37

He cam claim JSA because he didn't leave without good cause. In this situation I would use the words "contract ended" when asked and only elaborate if asked for more information. (long time welfare rights officer here)

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sat 24-Aug-13 22:25:02

£250 a month? Jesus. confused that was the cost of mine for a year. You must be able to do something about that surely? I know you get locked into contracts but how long till you're due for renewal? Can you cancel it without penalty?

You might be able to claim for income support etc too. Child tax credit? Council tax help? You really need him to get to the Jobcentre ASAP, they'll help with all that.

Bluebell99 Sat 24-Aug-13 22:13:08

but if he resigned, can he even vlaim jsa?

hermioneweasley Sat 24-Aug-13 21:36:41

I am sorry, that really sucks.

EBearhug Sat 24-Aug-13 21:32:12

>there must be some public transport as even rural routes here have buses.<

My sister lives in the country, and her car was off the road for a bit. If she had had to rely on the bus, she would have been able to get into town where she works twice a week, and not at a time which would have been suitable for work. She just had to take a couple of weeks off till her car was sorted. Rural public transport, where it exists, is often totally unsuitable for holding down a job.

HappyMummyOfOne Sat 24-Aug-13 19:45:18

Take the car off road as its too much of an expense, there must be some public transport as even rural routes here have buses.

Having the "man" work is daft, you need to shelter, feed and clothe a child. If that means you working and him doing the childcare then so be it. If you let him earn to keep you then surely you let him share the childcare, either you are a family or not.

CommanderShepard Sat 24-Aug-13 19:12:02

I'm on my phone so can't link easily but google - if you're entitled to any tax credits or other help then you need to make sure you're claiming them.

CommanderShepard Sat 24-Aug-13 19:10:01

I agree with the other posters - you and your child come as a package. If he's not working he needs to help out with childcare so you can be the one to work. Seeing it as a man's thing to provide is - sorry - a bit pathetic.

I know JSA isn't what most people want to claim but he needs to start claiming it so that any gap in your finances is mitigated. Forget pride - hard as it is - this is about the welfare of your family. As for your car insurance being ~£3000 per year, can you change cars to something a bit less insurance heavy? Or are you paying fully comp on an old banger that isn't worth it? (We had an ancient first car that was only worth covering for third party fire & theft).

I do feel for you, and maybe I'm misinterpreting but does he have his head in the sand a bit? Is there more to him being asked to resign than just not getting on with them?

dashoflime Sat 24-Aug-13 12:47:44

Uhh! Horrible situation! The job sounds rubbish though- perhaps one day he will look back and see this as a lucky escape.

YY to JSA- and as soon as possible too (you get paid from the date you claimed, not the date you lost the job)

Also- if your getting Tax Credits- make sure they know about the change of circumstances. If your not getting Tax Credits- then claim. And don't forget about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit.

I disagree that it would be unfair for him to care for your 2 yr old btw- when he got together with you- he took you both on!

mummykayxx Sat 24-Aug-13 12:39:23

just his insurance. no public transport atall, we live a half an hour drive from all family too which is a problem :/

GetStuffezd Sat 24-Aug-13 12:34:01

250/month on JUST his insurance? Bloody hell I had no idea it was so high for younger people. Are you in an area with decent public transport? Could you perhaps SORN the car for a while?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now