Talk

Advanced search

Are managers allowed to ask about family planning?

(30 Posts)
OrangeLily Mon 19-Aug-13 19:29:28

In the last week I have had two managers asking if I was 'going to make an announcement' or if I was 'going to be here next year'? Is this legal? Should I be objecting?

For what its worth, I am not planning on telling them anything about my plans until I actually am having a kid but its made me feel a bit uncomfortable.

Any advice?

OrangeLily Wed 21-Aug-13 20:03:30

Thanks for the advice. A least next time I'm forearmed with some retorts.

WorrySighWorrySigh Sun 25-Aug-13 01:22:25

If they are asking the question because they are going to make a decision based on your answer then (unless they ask men this question as well) this is sex discrimination.

If they arent planning to make a decision on the basis of your answer then they shouldnt be asking the question.

It is either sex discrimination or out and out impertinence.

bookishandblondish Thu 05-Sep-13 11:59:28

Um -I worked for a large company that was quite hot on this stuff. They were paying for me & a male colleague to attend an overseas conference. They declined to pay for my male colleague as he asked for open tickets so he would be able to change a flight in case his 8 month pregnant wife went into labour. Is this not the same thing?
I as a female employee of child bearing age was paid for - it was about the potential additional costs/ wasted costs to our unit budget they were concerned with.

He still got promoted - just didn get to go to a conference

ModeratelyObvious Thu 05-Sep-13 14:22:55

No, that's different because he asked!

bobsnotmyuncle Tue 10-Sep-13 20:49:37

I had this yesterday!! I've an 18 month old dd, and I was telling my manager (a woman) how my friend had just had a baby and how I was looking forward to newborn cuddles, doesn't the time fly by etc. etc.

She said half jokingly 'don't you go getting broody now, we need you here! Are you planning another?' shock

I simply replied 'I don't think you're technically allowed to ask me that, are you?'

She shut up pretty sharpish! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now