Talk

Advanced search

employer not giving me a written mat leave letter

(6 Posts)
photographerlady Tue 28-May-13 14:13:06

Hi sorry if this is the wrong place for this. Back in March I requested my remaining holiday and mat leave. Months have gone by and still every time he says he will have it to me by Friday. Well in 3 days its another Friday, my last Friday before my leave is meant to start. Do I need this all in writing to start my annual leave and then hope he will "approve in writing" my mat leave next month while I am away. What's the best course of action so late in the game now?

mmmmmchocolate Tue 28-May-13 14:21:29

Do you have a HR dept? They will probably be a better point of contact. Are you saying you start maternity leave next week?

photographerlady Tue 28-May-13 14:27:19

We are a really small company so the CFO is also HR. I requested annual leave to start next monday (for 4 weeks) then mat leave to start on the 3rd of July, I am due on the 15th.

flowery Tue 28-May-13 14:39:51

Well maternity leave isn't something you request - you tell them when you are taking it, so that aspect is fine. They are of course supposed to confirm it in writing to you as you know, but you don't need permission to take it as such.

The holiday is different, although most employers would prefer employees to take it before maternity leave as you are proposing so hopefully it shouldn't be a problem, and is just them being rubbish with the letter rather than anything else.

Do you have verbal agreement for your holiday request?

photographerlady Tue 28-May-13 14:41:55

yeah holiday is all fine I just wanted the mat leave letter before I go, mainly cause I ask him weekly for it but when I am off I won't be able to knock on his door as much. Just feel like I am never going to get that letter.

mmmmmchocolate Tue 28-May-13 15:44:09

What flowery said. As long as you sent in a letter saying I am due on X date and I intend to start my maternity on X date then that when you start it. He should have replied however stating that you a. Qualify for it and b. when your return to work date should be.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now