Talk

Advanced search

Verbal contracts and bank holidays

(4 Posts)
xenzani Wed 22-May-13 07:54:22

Long story short, I have a weekend contract where I work four hours on a Saturday. I am contracted to work bank holidays and this is in writing.

My ex and I split up so I was no longer able to work them and I then had a verbal contract with my store manager that I didn't have to due to looking after my girls, and for financial reasons.

This coming bank holiday, I am told I have to work it, and all day (which could end up being 8.45-5.45) and that my reasons are not good enough to not work it, as he has to tell all the 16 and 17 year olds they can't see family on bank holidays, and they are getting miffed that I don't have to work it, but they do hence why I now have to work them.

I have no childcare, my ex can't have them due to himself working them and I have no family around. I kept explaining this, and this wasn't good enough for him.

I need some advice on this, as right now, I am feeling that I am being penalised for being a lone parent and for having responsibilities that the younger staff don't have.

flowery Wed 22-May-13 08:17:03

How long have you not had to work bank holidays?

xenzani Wed 22-May-13 10:01:20

I've not worked them for two years now. they changed the way they do them from people signing a sheet to do it to everyone having to do them around a year ago, when my manager said I didn't have to work them because of said circumstances.
I've been there six years now.

flowery Wed 22-May-13 10:24:16

Ok, so what you say is that "although my original contract did state I was to work bank holidays, I stopped working them two years ago and have worked none since. This was then confirmed by [manager] on [date]. As I have been consistently working only 4 hours on a Saturday for two years, these are now my contractual hours."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now