Talk

Advanced search

Horrible meeting at work

(4 Posts)
chickensaladagain Tue 21-May-13 22:56:22

Got pulled into a meeting today and feel like I've been beaten up

I currently manage an under performing team which I inherited about 10 weeks ago

There is no record of any training or performance reviews taking place

I'm making changes but not seeing immediate results -I didn't expect too and have been clear about this from the start

My performance is now being brought into question and the threat of performance management now looms on the horizon

I got very mixed messages, I'm not reacting quickly enough, I'm reacting too quickly, my plans are long term but performance management takes time, the process is good (hitting all process targets) but results aren't -I've always been told if the process is right the results will follow and past experience has proven that to be true

Where on earth do I go from here?

My head is now all over the place and I feel as though I've had the rug pulled from under me sad

Horopu Wed 22-May-13 06:01:36

I have no useful advice but this sounds very unfair on you. Hope someone comes along soon who can assist. Good luck.

LoveBeingUpAt4InTheMorning Wed 22-May-13 06:42:33

Well if they are suggesting you are under forming then they need to be specific in what they expect and when.

Do you know what happened before you arrived? Why are they in this mess?

I would compile a report setting out your short, medium and long term plans. The schedule for appraisals, coaching etc.. The plans you have for changes etc and ask for feedback. Dependent on the job can you set some targets that show and increase month on month till you get there?

Sounds like they don't know how to fix themselves but have expected more from you. Do they really understand just how much of a mess it is in?

chickensaladagain Wed 22-May-13 06:56:44

It's in a mess because 'problems' from other areas were moved to my dept and then never managed properly

My bosses are looking for a quick fix where none exist

I'm evidencing everything I do -the field team know what a mess it was and I'm hopeful of their support -they knew it was a bomb waiting to go off!

The problem is last financial year the dept was meeting target in spite of the team's performance, targets have increased based on that (and also a bit of a finger in the air job)

All the bosses see are you are hitting target or not

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now