Talk

Advanced search

Manager asking for work to be done while I'm on sick leave?

(3 Posts)
CrazyOldCatLady Tue 21-May-13 22:06:35

My kids had a vomiting bug recently and I started vomiting today in work. I was feeling absolutely horrific, I couldn't read anything on my screen because it made me dizzy, and didn't think there was much point staying in work, as I clearly wasn't going to be any use stuck out in the toilets all afternoon. I told a colleague that I was going home and why, as my manager was gone out for lunch.

DH works in the same office as me and we commute together, so he used his lunchbreak to drive me home and then worked from home for the afternoon.

During the afternoon my manager received and email asking for a particular report to be produced. The person who requested the report said that there was no rush because she wasn't going to be in this afternoon. He forwarded the email to my DH and sent him an instant message asking him to ask me to run it as soon as possible.

DH told him I was too sick (I'd have had to take the laptop into the bathroom with me!) and that he wasn't going to ask me.

Thankfully I'm feeling more human now and will run the job first thing in the morning, so the person who needs it will get it in plenty of time.

AIBU to think my manager is way out of line, firstly to be contacting me asking me to do work when he knows I'm out sick (I wouldn't leave work for nothing, I was genuinely in a really bad way), and secondly to be using the fact that DH also works there to do it? It's not the first time he's done this while I was on sick leave and I don't think it's appropriate at all.

EatenByZombies Wed 22-May-13 01:03:49

YANBU. Especially if you have vomiting sickness! Assuming it's the same winter sickness we have here, which I'm pretty sure it is, if not VERY similar, though, if it's something that needs doing within the next few days it's not really unreasonable for him to ask you to do it at home, as the recommendation is to not have contact via work/school until 48 hours after the last ..bathroom incident. in the household due to how the virus is spread and the fact you can't be immune to it because it evolves so quickly. Which means, following health guidelines, you would be out of the office for at least 2-3 days.

Saying that, if he's done it before I doubt he's thinking about this hmm and using your DH is not unreasonable if he would have sent it to you anyway (as in, he's using DH because it's easier than ringing/emailing when you're sick) as opposed to using your DH to get you to do it in that he "might as well as DH is there" type of thing, though he wouldn't have if he'd been forced to ring/email you.

I hope you get what I mean. I don't really understand what I just wrote myself hmm

flowery Wed 22-May-13 10:28:48

Hmm. I don't see any particular harm in your manager asking if you can run a report while you are off sick, particularly as he/she was not to know how sick you were in terms of literally not being able to leave the bathroom. For many people who are not well enough to physically be at work, running a report from home would be possible. In your case you weren't well enough to do that, which is fine, but unless you were being penalised in some way for not doing it, I don't think it's a big deal.

I also can't see a problem with your manager asking via your DH rather than bothering you with a phone call.

Is there more to this? Have you been penalised in the past for not working when off sick, or not believed about sickness?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now