Talk

Advanced search

problem line manager

(4 Posts)
thingsthatmakeyougodoh Tue 21-May-13 16:48:26

I work in the NHS in a split post. Most of the time I have a lot of freedom to act. 2 days per week I have a Line Manager. She is known amongst staff as being snide and backstabby, and prone to disappearing/turning up late. AFAIK mnagement have a v positive view of her, she markets herself well.

She tends to look out for mistakes other people wouldn't be bothered by/notice. Of course she is entitled to bring these up, but it puts me on edge and I wonder what her agenda is. I think to undermine me and "keep me in my place". She is also very vague and will ask me to do things but is impossible to pin down what she actually wants. I'm not wanting my hand held, I just don't know what she is on about sometimes.

i don't have enough to do in the 2 days she manages me, sometimes I end up doing stuff from the other part of my job which I am overworked for.

She has asked if we can meet to discuss "how you manage your work". I suspect she maky have gone through my stuff while I wa son holiday and found something like an unsigned letter or incorrectly completed form. She may legitimately have concerns, but I am not looking forward to this, not sure how to handle her, want to deal with things in a straightforward and professional manner.

How do I keep things "on track" and avoid her sticking the knife in? My policy tends to be to be super keen and positive, not to create obstacles, to agree to whatever. But i feel like if there is something I have fallen down on she is going to make a "big deal" and suggest there is an underlying problem.

i feel competent most of the time but she makes me doubt myself, when I read the email I felt quite nauseous and panicky.

quoteunquote Wed 22-May-13 10:45:15

First, You are in a union aren't you?

be sweetness and light, turn everything into a positive, thank her for bringing anything to your attention,

ask for suggestions as to how to solve some of the sticking points, make suggestions as to problem solving, rearranging procedures,

ask for and volunteer strategies.

smile and nod.

thingsthatmakeyougodoh Wed 22-May-13 17:34:34

Yes, am in the union, thanks.

will stick to your suggested approach, no-one is moving jobs in the NHS anymore so I will be having to get on with her for ever!

Thanks again

Piffpaffpoff Wed 22-May-13 21:52:19

Also, document everything. After the meeting, drop her an email setting out what was discussed and any actions agreed. You need to cover your back in case she starts moving the goalposts post-meeting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now