Talk

Advanced search

Too stressed at work, had to leave.

(13 Posts)
GoSuckEggs Mon 20-May-13 19:49:13

I have had to leave my job. I could not work there any more. I was very stressed and anxious. I was subjected to verbal abuse and threats by customers. My company did not do anything to help. I was sent to the company doctor multiple times, and the advise was not fully followed. Then when it was finally followed they tried to use it to their advantage, and get me to cover another job description.

I now do not have a job. sad

RoadsTwo Tue 21-May-13 15:09:37

Oh no! Very big hugs!

How are you coping now? Have you spoken to anyone other than the company doctor about it?

GoSuckEggs Thu 23-May-13 21:42:30

I feel much better since I left, apart from having no money.

I spoke to my doctor and he signed me off sick with stess for a number of weeks on a couple of occasions.

I am just angry that they didn't help me, and now I have had to leave. now I have no money and have not got a new job. I feel they have failed me

BriansBrain Thu 23-May-13 22:56:36

I was sent to the company doctor multiple times, and the advise was not fully followed. Then when it was finally followed they tried to use it to their advantage, and get me to cover another job description

This is a worry, did you have an exit interview or express the above in your resignation letter?

Stress and anxiety in work is an important issue that needs to be carefully managed, have you been in contact with HR through your time off?

GoSuckEggs Sat 25-May-13 00:28:04

Yes I did explain why I felt I had to leave in my notice letter. they told me to come to an interview at hr, but I declined. I did not feel able to go. they had previously made me go to a meeting, and I told them I was very upset amd anxious,and didnt feel I could coherently express myself during a formal meeting, and would prefer the meeting to be done via email, so that I could answer any questions without crying or getting upset. they ignored my email and I was so upset during the meeting that hr suggested we rearrange. so I told them that I didnt want to have another meeting that I was bullied into.

AmandaCooper Sat 25-May-13 02:14:13

For how long were you engaged in the role?

When did you first start to experience stress?

How long is it since you left?

What are you hoping for from this thread?

GoSuckEggs Sun 26-May-13 00:45:17

3years at this company. 5 years in role.

The stress really got to much after an especially nasty customer threatened to rape me. that is when I first went of sicl with stess.

not sure what I expected from this thread. support? advise? somewhere to moan?!

I left a few weeks ago.

SolidGoldBrass Sun 26-May-13 00:52:36

Did the company fail to follow its own safeguarding procedures for employees in the type of role you had? Or did they not have a proper safeguarding procedure? As you chose to leave rather than being sacked, I assume you don't want your job back; are you considering legal action against them?

Virgil Mon 27-May-13 22:31:57

Gosuckeggs it sounds like you've had a dreadful time. Are you considering a constructive dismissal or discrimination claim?

AmandaCooper Tue 28-May-13 06:37:45

It's really good to hear that you are feeling better in yourself and that your stress levels are down. You had clearly got to a bad place if it had reached the pp

AmandaCooper Tue 28-May-13 09:15:29

...point where you couldn't face a meeting. Looking after your health is the most important thing.

Virgil Tue 28-May-13 11:45:45

If you were being put into an environment where customers were threatening to rape you and your employer did not take steps to protect you from that sort of situation you are very likely to have a claim. Even though you have left you can still present a claim. You may well be offered a compromise agreement/settlement.

GoSuckEggs Wed 29-May-13 09:57:51

thank you. yes I think I will take action. it was horrible, I just felt so anxious all of the time. it got to the point when it was all too much and the smallest thing was overwhelming. only now am I starting to feel like a weight has been lifted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now