Talk

Advanced search

Flexible working request

(6 Posts)
LedaOfSparta Mon 20-May-13 14:08:42

I work as a hcp and in March negotiated a return to work on the same hrs as I was doing before I went on maty leave (26) on fixed days. The manager was great in agreeing this as what I do is generally shift work.

The problem that has become apparent whilst doing my KIT days is that the length of time the kids are at the childminder is just not going to work. They are 8, 6, and under 1 and are not coping with being dropped off at 7am and not collected until 6.30pm, they're too tired and it's too long a day for them. (No family local and dad not available to help)

I'm due to go back at the end of Aug an ideally would like to cut down to 20hrs across 3 days, I'm too embarrassed to ring and speak to my dept manager though! I know I'm being a flake and I also know they're understaffed and really need people to do the hours. I'm mostly just ashamed of being so indecisive.

How can I start the conversation? Is there a deadline for flexible working requests? (My HR person just told me to speak to the manager, it's not NHS but private sector). I wonder if there is a 'sweetener' I can offer such as annualised hours with me doing extra around my childcare commitments?

I should also say that my contact just specifies the number of weekly hours I work, the agreement it should not be lates/nights/changing shifts is agreed with the manager and not recorded anywhere official.

LedaOfSparta Mon 20-May-13 14:09:13

Also posted in Back to Work

flowery Mon 20-May-13 14:43:11

You are only entitled to make one request every 12 months, so assuming it was a formal request you made, it's going to be a question of asking nicely whether they'd mind considering a further change, rather than putting in a formal request.

No point worrying about being embarrassed. The longer you leave it the harder it will be. Ask to go in for a meeting with your manager, explain what you've said here and ask if there is any movement with what was previously agreed.

If not, you may have to rethink your childcare plans to involve your children being at home for more of the day.

LedaOfSparta Mon 20-May-13 16:44:51

The previous request was informal as it didn't require a change in hours.

Unfortunately it will be drop hours or resign as the nature of what I do (operating theatre) has an inflexible timetable.

I'll only earn £140 per month after childcare/petrol etc so if I were to have a nanny I'd be in negative numbers.

I really do want to continent to work so I'll have to discuss it soon as you say.

Would it be proper to give my manager a heads up about what I want to discuss when I email to arrange the meeting do you think?

flowery Mon 20-May-13 19:31:36

A formal flexible working request doesn't have to involve a change in hours. Fixed days rather than variable is a common thing to request.

Anyway, if it wasn't a formal one then fine.

Whether you should give your manager a heads up about what you want to discuss? I think that's a judgement call for you in terms of whether your manager prefers to know what things are about first. I don't think it matters either way - you're not expecting an answer immediately anyway.

LedaOfSparta Tue 21-May-13 10:09:12

Thanks Flowerysmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now