Talk

Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

cleaners

(5 Posts)
mogwai Tue 23-May-06 10:55:23

Not sure what to do

We employed a cleaner two months ago to work three hours per week. She said the house needed four hours to clean so that's what we paid her for. She had just set up in business as a cleaner.

We were never home when she was here and when we did once turn up, we discovered she was bringing her son's teenage girlfriend to help her, so the job was taking two hours. However, it was the same job in total so that was fine and we recommended her to two friends, who also employed her.

The first time she came she did a lovely job. Subsequent weeks were never as good. The job seemed to have been done very carelessly; wet dishcloth left on the bannister, kitchen roll screwed up in the bathroom sink, pictures all hanging at terrible angles, mantlepiece becoming scratched when picture frames obviously being dragged about. Otherwise it was ok.

We didn't say a word about any of this to her, but last week I did leave her a very pleasant note saying how much I appreciated her work but not to do the tops of the picture frames (to avoid them hanging at all angles afterwards).

Yesterday she returned our key with a letter saying she did wouldn't be cleaning for us anymore because it obviously wasn't working out for either party. I was pretty miffed (tone of the letter was very official). I was then very surprised when she phoned last night and offered to return, saying she had over-reacted to my note about the picture frames and assumed I wanted to sack her (confused!!).

Very confusing behaviour and far too high maintenance for my liking. My husband thinks we should give her a second chance but I don't feel she's reliable.

Then again, its time consuming trying to find somebody else.

Anyone have any advice? I think perhaps I need someone a bit more chilled out!!

Uwila Tue 23-May-06 11:12:53

Give her another chance. The note out of the blue was quite frankly -- and I am afrank kind of girl so hope you don't mind me saying so -- not exactly the most professional approach either.

I think you should take her back and do a friendly walkthrough the house pointing out the things she does well and the things you are not happy with. Document the conversation so she has a reference for what does and does not need to be done.

I would also point out that another outburst where she up and quits won't be tolerated. So, if she does it again, I wouldn't take her back then.

WideWebWitch Tue 23-May-06 20:53:21

Oh fgs, advertise it, get someone else. Having a cleaner is supposed to make your life easier imo! She sounds like hard work. And she's not even doing a fantastic job!

WideWebWitch Tue 23-May-06 20:53:30

Oh fgs, advertise it, get someone else. Having a cleaner is supposed to make your life easier imo! She sounds like hard work. And she's not even doing a fantastic job!

WideWebWitch Tue 23-May-06 20:53:52

Sorry for double post

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: