Talk

Advanced search

Taking out a grievance.....how to/does it improve matters?

(9 Posts)
salsmum Mon 20-May-13 02:19:32

I work in a large residential home and have 2 team leaders who are always having a go at me for really trivial things, manager is v.pleased with my work which is over and above my job role and is aware that these 2 have caused me problems in the past (manager is lovely but quite weak) she lets these 2 team workers bully staff into leaving and we've lost some good care staff because of them!. The way they keep nit picking on my work is causing me a lot of stress at home and work. Recently I went back to work after long term sick leave to find these 2 have ripped my work project (photos of residents taken over a long period) off the wall and binned them angry they stated to staff they thought they looked 'tacky'They always target me when manager is away and she's on a/l for next 2 weeks. I have been thinking that the only way to make them stop is to A) leave (I do love my job though) or B) take out a grievance against them has anyone been down this route? does it stop the bullying? how do you do it?. Last time I had a meeting about the way they treat me (in house) they sent me to coventry for months afterwards which created a rotten atmosphere. Part of me wants to quite but the other part hates that these 2 have bullied sooo many and I wanna make a stand please help!. xx

ASmidgeofMidge Mon 20-May-13 16:09:44

Can't help with any experiences in terms of taking out a grievance, but informal mediation may be a first step - not sure if this is what you meant by an in-house meeting? Are you a union member? They may be able to give you some advice.

fedupwithdeployment Mon 20-May-13 16:15:34

Do you have an HR dept? Suggest a chat with them, and then a grievance if you can't resolve things informally. HR (or someone) need to make it clear to them that their behaviour is unacceptable.

Good luck.

Virgil Mon 20-May-13 19:47:01

Is there a formal grievance process? Is the home part of a larger group?

I would make an approach to your manager and say that you need this to be dealt with otherwise you will have to take out a formal grievance.

salsmum Wed 22-May-13 01:43:44

The home is part of a larger group. They do not allow employees to join a union. I have tried mediation in the past but although I kept professional afterwards they did not speak to me for several months after following the meeting!. The manager is well aware of their behaviour because they have
'got rid' of good carers in the past. It's an open secret that 1 of the team leaders will step into role of manager when our current manager retires. Staff are terrorised by these two but are too afraid to speak up. I heard today that they destroyed my work on the friday knowing I'd be returning saturday....its going all round the home that I'm off with stress (details of sick note have obviously been disclosed to care staff) which has made me livid.

LoveBeingUpAt4InTheMorning Wed 22-May-13 06:46:49

Yes do it - how could it be any worse? Btw for them to refuse to talk to you should be raised as a grievance if it happens again. Tbh it doesn't sound like the manager wants to sort them out.

flowery Wed 22-May-13 08:20:07

Honestly? A grievance may not stop the bullying. But in your case I think you have to go that route as I don't think anything else will anyway.

BTW it's nothing to do with your employer whether or not your join a union. If you want to join one, go ahead. Your employer don't have to even know you've joined, and certainly can't stop you.

salsmum Sat 25-May-13 23:24:56

I've made the really hard decision to hand in my notice sad although I dearly love my job and gave it 101% after recently being heavily bereaved
(jan) I really don't feel strong enough to take on these horrible bitches team leaders, my manager is off sick still so I'm seriously thinking of handing in my notice in a weeks time when my sick note runs out...I know I should 'stand and fight' but after 3 years I feel tired of their silly games and hate champagne against me. Shame I'll miss the good staff and lovely residents.

salsmum Sat 25-May-13 23:25:52

* campaigne* smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now