Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do you put a link to past presentations/articles on CV?

(4 Posts)
MrsMargoLeadbetter Sun 19-May-13 11:02:57

Hi

I have been freelancing (marketing) for past 2 years, during that time I have delivered a few presentations to external audiences and written a couple of articles for trade publications in my niche.

I am about to give birth but have been approached about a dream job in the niche sector. So I am going to apply anyway as you never know etc.

I was wondering if I should upload these presentations & articles to my website or a slideshare page so I can share them on my CV.

Not really that keen on having them on one page on my website - as it feels like sharing too much of my knowledge & making it easier for competitors to read my stuff. I am aware this is a rather protectionist view in this day and age of sharing content online.

Although actually the orgs that organised the events where I have spoken have uploaded the presentations on their sites but they are all in different places which could look messy on the CV with different links.

I am also wondering if it looks a bit boasty. The topics are relevant to job. I also don't want them to think I am going to find it difficult to leave the freelance world behind etc.

I think my instinct is to put them (or a selection) on my CV, maybe as just hanging documents on my website - so they don't appear in the menu etc and if the CV reader clicks they'll be taken to the document.

Any thoughts? TIA

AndrewD Sun 19-May-13 11:11:02

I think your last plan is a good one (hide them on your website and provide links to those who want to see them). However, google's webcrawlers will find them and they could therefore be potentially found by anyone.

The alternative might be to make them into Google Drive documents which can then have links to them for sharing, but, I think, would not be open to a google search.

Finally, you could put the content on a LinkedIn profile page which would effectively be an online copy of your CV. I think you might be able to control who sees what on LinkedIn but haven't investigated.

badguider Sun 19-May-13 11:13:16

I'd link to where they already are online. I don't think it looks messy, it looks to me like a range of organisations have valued your work enough to put it online (rather than just you uploading it all).

And don't even consider thinking it 'boasty' a CV is supposed to be boasty smile

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sun 19-May-13 12:05:27

Thanks both. Will sort out some links.

badguider I know, I thought that as I typed it! I should include as the presentations/my freelance background might be a UPS against other candidates etc.

Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now