Talk

Advanced search

Recruitment issues - looking for advice

(7 Posts)
FoxPass Fri 17-May-13 14:58:11

My DH has applied for a vacancy in his team for a senior role. He fulfills the criteria and is experienced in the industry and the company and was hoping to get an interview at least.

The role was advertised for about 2 weeks, internally and externally. DH never heard anything from it apart from a standard e mail response to his application. He found out today an external candidate has been given the job. The advert has gone from all the recruitment sites. He has chased up his application this week and not heard anything back.

Just wondering if his employer are legally in the wrong here? Giving the job to an external person without even letting other applicants know if their application was unsuccessful? DH is angry about it but unsure if he has a leg to stand on.

Anyone with any HR/recruitment expertise, I'd appreciate your input smile

flowery Fri 17-May-13 15:02:04

Well it's a bit rubbish he's not been formally notified that he wasn't successful, but it's not illegal.

I'd be inclined to encourage him to focus on seeking feedback about his application and how he can improve his chances of success next time, rather than on being angry about someone forgetting to let him know.

LittleTyga Fri 17-May-13 15:07:09

I agree with Flowery - Just because he applied for the role the company have no legal requirement to interview him if they feel the other candidates are more suitable. I would try and find out why his application was unsuccessful and what he can do to improve his chances next time.

Numberlock Fri 17-May-13 15:09:38

I would do 2 things:

(a) Request a meeting with HR and ask for feedback on why he wasn't successful. Also ask how they can help him to get the skills they don't feel he has for the role at the moment eg training, mentoring, taking on additional responsibilities.

(b) When the new person starts (I assume it will be his boss?), request a meeting to explain that he is looking to develop and would like to be considered for any additional projects that will help him to gain additional experience. Also, ask for the possibility of the new starter acting in a mentoring role as the company obviously think he has the skills which your husband doesn't.

I would be very wary of making any reference to legal redress here. Turn it into a positive for his ongoing professional development. Although if they are not helpful/co-operative on the above, it's time to move on.

FoxPass Fri 17-May-13 15:13:23

OK thanks for the advice smile

PeterParkerSays Fri 17-May-13 15:23:56

I know it's easy to say but I'd add a (c) to that:

(c) accept the fact that you didn't get the job and move on, developing a good working relationship with the person who got it as you go. Having to work with a colleague who carries a chip on their shoulder is a bastard for everyone. bitter experience

FoxPass Fri 17-May-13 15:26:21

Yeah that's true. DH is particularly pissed off as this is not the first time this has happened. And he did have a senior title until the last restructure, where his role changed (for 'streamlining' hmm). So it feels like a another kick in the teeth for him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now