Talk

Advanced search

Paternity and Holiday Pay?

(5 Posts)
Skelosia Thu 16-May-13 21:53:14

Don't know if anyone could answer this, but where do we stand with Paternity and Holiday pay?

I don't work, having been a stay at home mum for quite a while, so I am not entitled to anything like SMP, but OH works and so will be entitled to Paternity Pay.

However, he will only get the Statutory Paternity Pay (or whatever they call it). Only, when he works, we get nearly 3 times as much per week, and we cannot survive on the SPP. So, OH thought he would work all Bank Holidays but not put them in, so he could 'cash in' on the holiday pay when he is off on Paternity Leave, in addition to the SPP. We are saving a little too as even that wouldn't cover our living costs - well, we wouldn't have any extra. But we have heard conflicting advice, and we only have 6 weeks left!

One person has told us he cannot claim Holiday Pay and SPP in the same pay period (weekly for us), but someone else has said that we can, as long as he doesn't physically go into work. We are looking at him only having one week off now as we have learned too late to save enough if he can't put in the holiday pay. Our new plan is that he puts them in before he takes his leave and we save them.

Just want to know how to plan this for the best! So any advice or experience in this area very gratefully received :D

flowery Thu 16-May-13 22:17:54

He can't be on holiday and on paternity leave at the same time, no.

Picturesinthefirelight Thu 16-May-13 22:22:03

We used to do it and then book the holiday pay down on the wage card a later week. But with the introduction of RTI this year you can't fudge things any more.

Skelosia Fri 17-May-13 16:29:01

RTI?

Thanks for that. Just really, really pants. And we wouldn't have known had he not casually mentioned it when asked about working BH's.

Found out (after I posted this) that the company has new 'investors' too, so don't know how that will impact on how things were done. I'll tell you now, he hasn't been given the bonus he was promised last week. Why does it have to be such a massive pain? Why can't they just pay you what they say they will, when they say they will, and give you straight answers??

GRRR (Sorry! Hormones? hmm)

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 17-May-13 21:58:17

RTI means real time information which basically means that employers have to report all payments to the IR on or before the date the money is Isis instead of every quarter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now