Talk

Advanced search

Applying for FT jobs but work PT - when to mention?

(4 Posts)
Chewbecca Wed 15-May-13 20:02:56

I worked for a huge organisation 21 hours pw but do another day or so from home during term time.

It's time for me to move on I think and there are some internal job ads that interest me. One ad closed today so I've sent in an application but I didn't mention that I work PT.

Looking at the job spec I am hopeful I could jiggle it into my hours and I am very flexible about when I work (as far as possible anyway) to accommodate deadlines.

I am thinking I will mention in interview (should I get one). Any tips on best way to tackle?

But for future reference, should I put it in the covering letter?

In all my years I have NEVER seen a role at my level advertised as PT so I figure I can't wait until someone is actively looking for a PT person!

ChoudeBruxelles Wed 15-May-13 20:05:15

I would ask at interview - if they interview you and like you they may be more amenable

MsDeerheart Wed 15-May-13 20:35:30

if its internal proabably at interview -and they might I guess talk to your line manager before then so would know anyway

if its external my personal experience is wait until the job offer

Chewbecca Wed 15-May-13 20:41:49

Yes, it is internal. I won't look externally, the org is so huge there's no need, and I am happy with the organisation.

It would actually be great if the hiring manager spoke to my line manager first as he he mentioned, he would, i am sure, be reassuring at how it works well for us now.

Ok, so neither of you have said I should have mentioned in the app, I was wondering if I might look a bit sneaky or as if I was trying to cover it up by not mentioning. Hence trying to gauge when people might expect it to be mentioned for future reference if I'm not successful with this role.

Thanks for the reassurance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now