Talk

Advanced search

occupational health

(4 Posts)
denialandpanic Wed 15-May-13 17:47:57

I'm not sure whether I need a rant or advice here! I have psoriatic arthritis and really struggled at work over past few years with joint muscle pain and just sitting at a desk some days.
I got access to work in who noticed that work had not followed previous report from their own occ health people. various changes were recommended that work implemented and ask has been well since.

anyway, we are now on a push to desk sharing and standardised equipment.it has been announced today that the whole team are to have an occupational health assessment based on their preferred adjustable chair.
do I have to consent? my chair set up works, it's built to my measurements.I don't want to even discuss changing it as I won't do anything that might aggravate my problem areas.it isn't broke and I don't want to fix it.

an I overreacting ? I'm reallyangry about this, life in combatant pain is hard enough .....

denialandpanic Wed 15-May-13 17:56:41

I should say it's works choice of a standardised chair not the one I've already been provided with which had helped considerably.

missingmumxox Thu 16-May-13 00:38:34

I say if your Occ Health Nurse agrees to that they are a mug! really not our job, we can be brought it to advise on the issue of hot desking for individuals who have a health issue, this does not cover "based on their preferred adjustable chair."
that said normally every body in these situations comes up with a "medical issue" to why they can't hot desk.
this is firmly a HR issue and I can't count the times I have been asked if there are medical reasons if hot desking is detrimental to health? simple answer is check my referral rate for stress after it is implemented....I can't find any research on this to back it up, please point me to some if you do? normally it calms down after a few months and people settle or leave...and they do leave in droves. I would love to see the research on this as well.

denialandpanic Thu 16-May-13 07:15:35

thanks missing mum,I actually support the hot desking and get why they want to implement it.I just want my chair that was recommended and works so well ;) I will let you know how it works out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now