Talk

Advanced search

Is my boss a bully?

(6 Posts)
ODearMe Tue 14-May-13 21:13:58

Hi all

Thought I would post here as I have been feeling anxious and lost my confidence at work and thought you could help me ascertain if i am being over-sensitive or if it is him. I am a bit of a worrier so need some perspective!

I work in a cut throat industry, part time, and have done for a number of years. I feel I have always been highly regarded with previous bosses but this has done a u turn with current boss. My confidence has gone downhill and I am a nervous wreck on my days off.

To give a few examples - he is not the best at giving direction, has an idea in his head but doesn't communicate what he wants properly. So when he gets something not what he was thinking of, he scapegoats and blacklists the person. He does this this in a passive aggressive way and will make that person feel uncomfortable while he has banter with the rest of the team.

He will regularly ask my colleague to call me on my day off asking questions. Yesterday colleague rang to say boss was not happy with finished product and asked where real thing was as it looked like an 8 year old had done it. He was obviously trying to ruin my days off work and it worked. I ask them, not to contact me on my days off but he blames me for giving a bad handover. I always handover the best I can but things happen on my days off I cannot foresee.

Many people have left and written letters saying he is a bully but nothing has come of this. It is such a horrible atmosphere at work and. Am dreading going in tomorrow.

What do you think?

clam Tue 14-May-13 21:27:38

I'd be screening my calls when at home.

ODearMe Tue 14-May-13 21:58:49

Even when I screen them, it makes me anxious as I know the boss is not happy about something and ruins my day.

BriansBrain Tue 14-May-13 22:24:30

He does sound very difficult to work with. Are you noting down the date, times and reasons for calls out of working hours?

Do you have anyone at work you can talk things throug with and maybe find strategies to turn the relationship around, if he isn't good at giving direction can you try and get everything you need from him before completing the task?

You shouldn't be made to feel anxious by another persons behaviour, could you speak to a member of HR and run it past them?

Good luck with it all

ODearMe Tue 14-May-13 22:29:30

I think keeping a log is a good idea Brains. Thank you. My colleague often lies awake at night worrying about work. Just goes to show.

BriansBrain Tue 14-May-13 22:58:17

I do think a log is a great idea not only to record his behaviour but also as a place for you to get it all put of your system before bed!

Work can be full of pressure without feeling bullied and it doesn't need to be this way.

I do wish you lots of luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now