Talk

Advanced search

Desperately need careers help

(4 Posts)
legolamb Tue 14-May-13 18:52:48

Hopefully I've namechanged for this. I'm in my late 20s and currently work for a very large charity in an entry level admin role and I'm bored to tears. I graduated 3 years ago with a 2:2 in an Arts subject and not getting a 2:1 really knocked my confidence, and working for a charity seemed like it would be a nice friendly environment, as well as getting to make a difference. I'm fed up of the charity sector - my pay is terrible and I just find it a bit too 'slow'.

I want to earn more money. I like the idea of having a skill or qualification that makes me sought after, though I'm not sure what. At the moment I feel that I have very basic, general skills and experience - nothing to make me hugely attractive to an employer. An acquaintance has just got a job in Compliance and is going to be doing exams - this might be something I'm interested in but I'm not sure how to go about it (she got in through her degree subject). I plan on doing a Masters, possibly part time or with the OU in something business-related.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!

Twirlbitesruinedmylife Tue 14-May-13 22:53:54

Sorry your work isn't fulfilling and that you are trying to build your career at such a difficult economic time.

I would be wary of doing further study without a clear purpose for that study.

When I was in my 20s I did a job I loved (solicitor) but I didn't feel I was giving enough to my wider community so I volunteered (Samaritan, helping at law centre.) Although I didn't do the voluntary work for this reason it also developed my skills and when I came to look for a new role made me a more interesting candidate.

I'd really recommend you looked at doing some volunteering. Lots of small charities are looking for trustees and such a role would give you experience of leadership, communication and problem solving.

I hope this helps.

lovefreelance Wed 15-May-13 12:48:09

I agree - further education is a huge investment in your time (and money) and I would want to be really clear about the tangible benefits I'd get from it.

I also agree that volunteering is a great opportunity to learn more about the world and type of work you enjoy. You can find opportunities through this site if you're interested: www.do-it.org.uk/

As some general advice (having been in your shoes many years - if not decades - ago!), I would sit down and make a list of all the things you like to do. Not just work but generally - eg do you enjoy organising, or are you social etc. Then think practically about what you want from a job, and how important each thing is in balance - eg salary, status, location of work, work hours, type of industry etc.

I always knew I wanted two things from my job: creativity and a good salary. It took me a few years to find the right career (I had to kiss a few job frogs along the way, but each helped me learn and get closer to what I loved, and still do) but in the end I did and it was worth the wait.

So - trying not to waffle! - I would analyse what you're looking for and get more experience in different types of jobs.

Oh and on the disappointment in your degree thing - I dropped out of my degree after two years, determined that hard work, intelligence and passion would get me further than a qualification. And I have never regretted it to this day! Good luck smile

flowery Wed 15-May-13 12:50:54

I agree with the previous posters. Don't launch yourself into expensive, lengthy and time consuming study for the sake of it.

Identify what you want to do, what kind of organisation you want to work for, what kind of work you want to do. Really research it carefully. Once you've identify where you want to get to, investigate what skills, experiences and qualification you need to get there and focus on how you can achieve those.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now