Talk

Advanced search

HELP. WANT TO LEAVE CITY JOB AND WORK FOR MYSELF.....

(25 Posts)
CarlyP Wed 17-May-06 10:17:19

Hi,

ive had enough of this city stuff and i have 2 boys aged 18mths and 2.5yrs. i want to see them more.

i work 4days/wk.

options:

1) ask to work from home 2days/wk.....so i can see them more

2) im a qualified canine psychologist.....start on my own dog training and behaiourist

3) start a different trade completely......thinknig of lighterlife councillor (once if finished the diet myself!)

any one got any ideas?

thanks

cx

CountessDracula Wed 17-May-06 10:18:09

Try 1 first maybe?

2 sounds like fun

3 sounds ok not my cup of tea

foxinsocks Wed 17-May-06 10:19:55

sis is a horse pyschologist - she did her back in so doesn't work as much but you can make a fortune and dictate your own hours. ALso, once you get in with clients you tend to get a lot of recommendations (esp if you can get in with a good vet practice). I would go for 2.

foxinsocks Wed 17-May-06 10:20:30

dunno if it is officially called horse pychologist but that's what she does!

CarlyP Wed 17-May-06 10:26:10

Know whatyou mean foxinsocks!

qualified a cpl of yrs ago.....jsut got to make that step.

i think no.1 is a 'safer' option, may try that whilst trying to get option2 off the ground.

im scared!

cx

CountessDracula Wed 17-May-06 10:27:07

could you go down to 3 days a week and build up your animal shrinkage business on the other two?

kitegirl Wed 17-May-06 10:27:40

I need a canine psychologist right now! How quickly can you get to SE23!? I'm dead serious. unruly labrador. Dog training is a great idea! I left the City 4 years ago and have never looked back. Good luck xx

Uwila Wed 17-May-06 10:35:44

Could you combine 1 and 2? Work from home more and in the time you save from not commuting pick up a patient or two? What do you do for work in the city?

chickenwings Wed 17-May-06 10:35:47

Follow your instincts and leave! I am hoping to do the same too (even though I have wangled 3 days a week).
The canine pyschologist biz sounds like a brilliant idea and if you are qualified already then you are halfway there. It is probably a good idea to keep working for a little bit whilst you build up the business.
I have 2 boys too and they are now 3 and 4 - they grow up so fast so don't miss it!

CarlyP Wed 17-May-06 11:04:32

thanks for all your responses.

i am def going to leave. i work in project management and business analytics at the moment for an investment bank.

i tihnk i will sort out some business cards and place adverts and see what happens from there.

cx

Kayleigh Wed 17-May-06 11:08:49

CarlyP, wish you good luck with this. I left the city last month to start my own business selling childrens books & toys. Not having to commute is absolute bliss. And I fit the work around my boys (7 and 5) and they are so much happier seeing more of me. You HAVE to do it

Uwila Wed 17-May-06 12:01:24

Could you do some kind of project management from home? Or do you hate the job as well as the commute?

CarlyP Wed 17-May-06 12:03:39

i like my job. wouldnt know where to start about doing it at home..............any ideas?

katierocket Wed 17-May-06 12:06:27

do it, you won't regret it. I went freelance 4 years ago after having DS. At the time I was petrifed but now I couldn't imagine going back to working for someone else with all the inflexibility that entails.

CarlyP Wed 17-May-06 12:09:42

if i were to use my 'city' skills from home, how cna i goa bout that?

kitegirl Wed 17-May-06 13:35:24

I need a canine psychologist right now! How quickly can you get to SE23!? I'm dead serious. unruly labrador. Dog training is a great idea! I left the City 4 years ago and have never looked back. Good luck xx

Uwila Wed 17-May-06 13:43:39

Well, does it have to beinvestment banking? Could you transfer these skills to another industry which might exist closer to home? By the way, where is home? Maybe insurance companies, oil business (which is currently booming and probably will be for a few years)? What about the NHS? Their computer system is a joke. Central database? What's that?

CarlyP Wed 17-May-06 13:48:24

kitegirl, whats the prob with your lab?.....

uwila, could probably transfer my skills, but it misses the point of working for 'me'......

did think about some sort of agency for professionals, where you do their 'pa' bit for them. everything from organising their diary to reminding them of their wives birthdays!!!!

cx

Uwila Wed 17-May-06 13:54:57

Couldn't you do it as a consultant? Take on the projects you want, and decline the ones you don't?

CarlyP Wed 17-May-06 16:33:26

im not sure how i would go about that. but i know what you mean about a consultancy, its a good idea, maybe something i look into.

cx

kitegirl Fri 19-May-06 11:40:35

ooh you know, typical lab
exasperated telling her off about the same things and nothing registers - jumps at everyone who comes through the door, climbs on sofas, steals food from the baby....

if you want to come and give your new career a go I'd be happy to be your first customer!

nixnoo Fri 19-May-06 12:23:53

I would definitely go down to 2 days with existing job - great if your company is that flexible!
Then at least you have a bit of security whilst you start getting clients for option 2.
I did exactly that a while back and am now self-employed full time (interior designer) and although there have been some quiet months I dont regret it one bit. No commuting (have studio around corner from home), flexible etc.
Exciting!

CarlyP Mon 22-May-06 15:19:39

kitegirl,

ill help you with your lab if you like. mail me at carly.poyser@bnpparibas.com

cx

DominiConnor Mon 22-May-06 20:10:36

I escaped the City, became a pimp for quants.

My logic was that a pimp who actually done real work was better to do business with finding a job.
That way I get City level money, and work from the top floor of my house, seeing my kids nearly every day.
But I did the spadework before leaving, and by the time I quit things were pretty firmed up.

fisil Mon 22-May-06 20:34:01

Hi CarlyP - I am doing this THIS WEEK! Aaaaghhh!

For exactly the same reasons as you (and my boys are very similar in age to yours) I am leaving work on Friday and becoming a SAHM. Because I've got to a certain stage in my career I am able to set up my own consultancy company. I've set up the company already and have several negotiations under way already.

The big thing I discovered is that I wasn't the only one who wanted to only work odd days - apparently loads of childminders feel the same. So I plan to work c. 1 day a week (plus working from home in the evenings). On those days the boys will go to a childminder and I will enjoy the company of intelligent adults!

I can't tell you whether it works out yet - but I can tell you that it was a huge decision and very very scary. I've always been a very driven career woman, and the change in pace of life is the thing I'm most scared about. At the moment I say go for it - but I may be saying the opposite in a month's time!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: