Talk

Advanced search

Would you consider working for someone you used to work for who was an absolute t**t?

(9 Posts)
Northerner Tue 16-May-06 12:33:45

One of my best friends has been offerred a job, fantastic salary and benefits and she is probably going to say yes.

6 years ago we both used to work for this guy who ahs offerred her the job, and he was a real b**tard, especially to her. He practically forced her to leave and she was always in tears.

Friend now feels like a different person and thinks he has changed (I know he hasn't). I think she is blinded by excellent salary and prospects and am sure it will end in tears.

She has fallen out with me now for not supporting hew decision.

expatinscotland Tue 16-May-06 12:35:08

No. I would avoid someone who was a twat to me at work as much as possible.

She's barkers.

Northerner Tue 16-May-06 12:36:34

My thoughts exactly. I think she is making a BIG mistake.

What can I do?

CarolinaMoonfish Tue 16-May-06 12:37:14

depends what she is doing atm.

if she can afford to try and and see how it works out, that's fine. If it means leaving a job where she isn't reduced to tears on a regular basis, I'd pass tbh. Can she get the fantastic salary elsewhere or is this a one-off?

expatinscotland Tue 16-May-06 12:37:44

Nothing. But I'd make it clear to hear that I did NOT want to hear about her work problems w/him at all. And everytime she brought it up I'd remind her of that.

wishfulthinking Tue 16-May-06 12:41:07

As someone who is working for an absolute s**t now, I would strongly, strongly recommend not to. I wish I'd gone with my gut instinct and decided against my current job but was blinded by the incentive to continue working after having been made redundant - BIG MISTAKE! I'm now desperately searching for something else. You have done the right thing to speak out....and you will be there for her when it all goes terribly wrong.

Northerner Tue 16-May-06 12:54:44

She's been in her current job since she left the last one. She has a lovely job, nice people and a graet boss. But she feels that she is under acheiving and wants a new challenge. This job will be full on, 50 hours a week/lots of targets etc.

Also, her dh would really like a baby, but she keeps putting it off. Her current job has great maternity benefits.

I really think she is making a huge mistake.

wishfulthinking Tue 16-May-06 13:11:18

The trouble is - 'the grass is always greener' blah-blah-blah, all that shines isn't gold (?) etc. The power of the pound can be very, very strong and, tbh, that was what swayed it for me. I just know that given my time again, I would never, never, never not listen to my instinct again. I sooooo look forward to a time when I don't get panicky and shakey at the thought of going to work. It makes it all the more sour for me because my previous jobb was great in all areas (apart from salary).

CarolinaMoonfish Tue 16-May-06 13:29:58

agree, it sounds like a recipe for disaster.

if she's made her decision though, I guess you can only wish her luck with it and be around if it turns to sh!t...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: